Pale ale critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
I took a look at EdWorts Pale Ale recipe, and wanted to make it, but I only have crystal 40 and Munich malts. So I came up with this. Does it look OK? What would you change?

11 gal final volume 72% est. efficiency

17lb pale 2 row
2lb Munich (6-10 srm)
1.5lb Crystal 40

2oz cascade @60
1oz cascade @30
.5oz cascade @15
.5oz cascade @5

Danstar US-05 yeast

I may have to substitute the hops if my LBS doesn't have cascades. I'll try to sub amarillo but who knows what they will have. Do you ave any other hops addition ideas?

Thanks,
-j

you might consider dropping the 30 minute addition and using those hops late additions or dry hopping. from what i gather, 30 minute additions aren't efficient for bittering or flavoring. some people say it offers a more complex hop profile, but i think its more effective to use hops at 60 minutes and 15 to flame out.

I bet that'd be good as it is. Though if it was up to me, I'd agree with the suggestion of dropping the 30 minute addition and adding them later in the boil - with the amount of hops listed, I'd add an ounce at 10 minutes and an ounce at flame-out.

Also, have you ever tried first-wort hopping? That could well be worth a try with this beer.

I like the grain bill, and I agree with the hop suggestions. First wort hopping is easy and works, and I would drop the 30 minute addition for a flameout or dry hop addition.

TL

I'll add another vote to the consensus.

Semi-:off:

I've never understood 30-minute additions. Too long a boil for much flavor to be left, not long enough to maximize bittering utilization. If you want flavor, boil 15 minutes, if you want bittering, boil 60 minutes. Why do a 30 minute addition when basically all the flavor is going to be shot, but there's still a fair amount of bitterness you could extract with a longer boil?

Back