Sherry flor in a brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvaden

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but flor is a wild yeast blend/strain...

Has anyone tried to add a sherry flor to a beer? If you had, do you have any tasting notes saying if it gave the typical almond flavors?

If no one has, I plan to do this experiment.

Cheers.

I believe Al Buck adds Sherry Flor to either Bugfarm or Bugcounty (or did one year), maybe reach out to Al for some additional info. Ive used both of those blends each year for the last 4 years but didnt notice any almond flavors but I might just not be picking up on it.

I always assumed the sherry strain in Wyeast Roeselare was a Sherry Flor---is that incorrect?

I believe Al Buck adds Sherry Flor to either Bugfarm or Bugcounty (or did one year), maybe reach out to Al for some additional info. Ive used both of those blends each year for the last 4 years but didnt notice any almond flavors but I might just not be picking up on it.

https://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=129

Wyeast definitely uses a sherry yeast in their Lambic Blend, which produces delicious beers.

The White Labs Flor Sherry (WLP700) appears to indicate "green almods, granysmith" as flavors, which sounds delicious in a brown.

Exactly. I just don't know if anyone had done a single strain with this to see if it's as nutty as when in wine. I may start experimenting with it and logging what I am doing in a blog. I'll use it as secondary, primary, secondary blends, primary blends.

Once I start this blog, I'll post the link here and the blog will include all vital stats just like the mad fermentalist does.

Exactly. I just don't know if anyone had done a single strain with this to see if it's as nutty as when in wine. I may start experimenting with it and logging what I am doing in a blog. I'll use it as secondary, primary, secondary blends, primary blends.

Once I start this blog, I'll post the link here and the blog will include all vital stats just like the mad fermentalist does.

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2010/12/athos-biere-de-garde-fermented-with.html

This is a link I remember seeing a while back and just found again :)

It looks like he hasn't posted a review of it yet, so I will shoot him an email to see if he had a description yet.

Depending on what all info he has, I'll street my own batches accordingly

Cheers!

I didn't think the sherry flor was effective until about 14 % abv.

Calder, the high ABV is most likely to help control how much of the flavor is there. The higher ABV versions of sherry don't have much almond flavor at all.

Back