Perlick Forward Seal Faucet vs Standard Chrome faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
Do you guys thing paying the extra money for the perlick forward seal faucets is worth the extra money as opposed to the standard chrome faucets?

I never used the standard faucets, but I'm happy with the extra money that I spent on my Perlicks.

I so want to upgrade to the perlicks, my chrome ones stick all the time as I usually only pull 1 beer a night. I often feel obligated to let some beer run, to loosen up the faucet and have to waste 2oz of beer to pour a 16 oz glass, that is about 10% of my keg going down the drain if I only drink 1 beer a night.

Standard faucets suck. To have them is to hate them. I have two and can't WAIT to get rid of them.

Why are you letting that 2oz of beer run down the drain? Why not pour it into your glass? That's what I do when I pour my first beer of the day on a tap - the first bit always comes out foamy anyways, so I jiggle the handle and loosen it up. If I'm impatient I'll fill until a bit of foam runs over the top but I don't lose more than 1/2oz.

I do plan to upgrade to Perlicks eventually; I paid $107 for my 2 tap tower with cheapo faucets. I figure I can sell them for a couple bucks and get perlicks, and a third tap tower extension, some day.

rdwj said:
Standard faucets suck. To have them is to hate them. I have two and can't WAIT to get rid of them.
Amen Brother!

My current project is my milling station but after that my next project is getting rid of those faucets. Daily sticking is just WAY too annoying.

I am sure you guys with the sticking faucets have heard this before but just in case I will post it again. I have 5 standard chrome faucets on my kegerator and sometimes a tap won't be used for weeks, what I do is keep a spray bottle of star san by the kegerator and at the end of the night I spray a squirt of two of star san up into any faucet I used that night. Using this method I have never had a faucet stick. I would like to get some new faucets, they just aren't in the budget right now. I hope this helps somebody. Paul

Paulinuke said:
I am sure you guys with the sticking faucets have heard this before but just in case I will post it again. I have 5 standard chrome faucets on my kegerator and sometimes a tap won't be used for weeks, what I do is keep a spray bottle of star san by the kegerator and at the end of the night I spray a squirt of two of star san up into any faucet I used that night. Using this method I have never had a faucet stick. I would like to get some new faucets, they just aren't in the budget right now. I hope this helps somebody. Paul
I do this as well, but it doesn't work on my faucets. I keep doing it anyway though to keep the faucets clean (don't want any mold or anything developing in there).

Paulinuke said:

Good idea - I'll give it a shot. I just cleaned all my lines and taps, so I'm starting fresh. We'll see if it helps. It can't hurt - that's for sure.

I bought a couple Perlicks recently thanks to this thread heads up:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57978

Mine were $29.99 then but now they're $32.99.

I installed the new faucet last night. The big test will be that I'm leaving on vacation this Sat. through Sunday the 30th...so when I return, I should expect no stick whereas my standard would have felt cemented for sure lol.

After all the horror stories I've read here, I skipped right over the cheaper faucets and went with the forward sealing ones.

I'm also a 1-beer-a-day type guy and sometimes some of the taps will go 2 weeks before being pulled, and they're never stuck.

The Perlick/Ventmatics also look so much nicer:

Beer7.jpg

Beer9.jpg

Kal

Thanks guys! Having great home-made beer on tap is definitely the best part. I love having taps instead of bottles. It was a pain to set up but I love the results.

Kal

After all the horror stories I've read here, I skipped right over the cheaper faucets and went with the forward sealing ones.

I'm also a 1-beer-a-day type guy and sometimes some of the taps will go 2 weeks before being pulled, and they're never stuck.

The Perlick/Ventmatics also look so much nicer:

Beer7.jpg

Beer9.jpg

Kal

WOW!!!!!

Can you post more pics. I would love to see how you ran the lines. Is that black fridge on the backside holding the kegs? Where did you get that sign? I love that set up and it looks fantastic!!! You have inspired me to make something like that.

WOW!!!!!

Can you post more pics. I would love to see how you ran the lines. Is that black fridge on the backside holding the kegs? Where did you get that sign? I love that set up and it looks fantastic!!! You have inspired me to make something like that.
Start reading in this thread starting here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/forced-use-1-4-not-3-16-15-beer-line-37060/index3.html#post389102

I'll eventually have this all up on my www.TheElectricBrewery.com web site (very early work in progress).

My freezer just died a few days ago (sigh) so I need to get a new one and redo it all. Crap.

Kal

not much is more annoying than a standard faucet that has not been used in a month or so. I had to steam it open, lame!

I'm going perlick too!

The black plugs that slip over the faucets will help those of you that have the standard faucets. I would spray sanitizer and slip the plug on. That kept out fruit flies, etc and kept my faucets from sticking. I kind of had to because the kegerator was outside. Now it's inside and I have swapped them out for fwd seal. No more problems.
35 cents each, micromatic
SP1000.jpg

Got my Perlicks a few weeks ago and now that I've had them for a bit I wanted to chime in and say WORTH IT! I wish I'd have bought them from the start.

I have two standard faucets, if they dont get used for a bit mine stick themselves shut, to the point that even with starsan spray I feel like I may break off the tap handle. Perlicks are in my future for sure! I have found a smear of keg lube on the moving parts helps keep the sticking under control during normal use, I also remove and clean them once a week now so I dont break one.

Do you guys thing paying the extra money for the perlick forward seal faucets is worth the extra money as opposed to the standard chrome faucets?

F*** YES!!!

ROCK ON!!!

I have 4 525 forward sealing faucets. Besides that they forward seal and ROCK OUT WITH THEIR C*CKS OUT!!!, they also look super cool with the cursive 'P' right on the front...

spend the few extra bucks and get it done...

DSCN1109.jpg

I upgraded to Perlicks and overall I feel they were worth it.

Like everybody else said, if you don't draw off a standard faucet every day, they stick. Mine stuck to the point where I really thought I was going to rip my tower right off the bar top.

With the Perlicks I feel that they are a bit more restrictive and contribute to an overall faster pour. I have some new issues with foam since installing them and I keep my setup very clean. Since more beer sits forward outside the tower, it gets warmer and you get a spurt when you open the tap.

I think if were to use every tap everyday I would have stuck with the standard. I look at the taps whenever I go to a bar and every one uses standards. They use them all the time so they never stick.

I swapped my standard for a Perlick when there was a sale going on through the classifieds here on HBT, and have never looked back. When I add a second tap to the door of my kegerator, I will use the standard faucet, and just make sure that the daily drinker (mild/low-booze recipe) is on that tap, so that it gets used regularly. Other than that, I have loved my Perlick and never give it a second thought.

I love my perlicks, I have a 525 and a 575 creamer faucet that I actually like quite a lot. I have a oatmeal stout on the creamer right now and it works pretty well to give it a little extra head.

Perlicks are the only taps I have ever had but I love 'em

IMG_5713.JPG

Could I get by with another tap, probably but I don't have to now.

I think you can find them for $24 if you look hard enough so they aren't that much more.

Just upgraded to perlicks for my dual tap tower. Hands down the best brew investment I have made in a while. It is embarassing having your buddies over to sample your beer and you nearly snap the tap handle off just trying to open the tap. Actually, I did break 3 of the little black plastic handles due to sticky taps. Also, because of the way the perlicks are designed you can easily add as much head to the beer as you want, even with the standard taps (525ss) simply by slowly cracking the tap open. The way the beer moves around the ball in the small space lets foams you beer nicely. So now I actually can keep my kegs at a lower carb and still get great foam.

Keep an eye out and you should be able to pick one up for less than $30 shipped. Definitely worth it!

I am just going to use faucets on my rolling trashcan kegerator, they will be used for a day and or night, constant use no sitting for hours, then I can clean them and they wont be used again till the next party. I can even soak them in sanitizer the night before I use them. Money is an issue for me and I can get 3 faucets with the shanks for under $70 but not if they are perlicks.

If they are used as I plan can I get away with using the cheapies?

Yes. I use a standard cheapie on my rolling kegerator, (see sig). Gives you no problem, since people are constantly pulling pints, and once the night/weekend is over you clean it out.

Back