I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm baking orange cupcake. I hope they come out well. The batter wasn't all that orangy, so I'm hoping the flavor in the orange zest intensifies with the cooking.

Sigh.... It is 3:30 in the morning and I cannot sleep. My stupid head is just going 90 trying to figure how to get the things done that I need to. I am so looking forward to winter when things slow down for me.

I have not had the time to brew much as of late and my pipe line has took a pretty bad beating. I think I am going to have to just say enough and start brewing again or I am going to have to buy beer and that is something I have not done for years.

Been kind of lost as of late in a way. My daughter has been spending the summer with her mom this year. My ex has never really wanted to spend time with her until now and not having my kid around has got me in a funk.

3:15am here and I'm at work with 4 hours left to go. Varmintman, I either feel like I need a break from my kids or I miss my kids, can't win I guess.

Varmintman said:
Sigh.... It is 3:30 in the morning and I cannot sleep. My stupid head is just going 90 trying to figure how to get the things done that I need to. I am so looking forward to winter when things slow down for me.

I have not had the time to brew much as of late and my pipe line has took a pretty bad beating. I think I am going to have to just say enough and start brewing again or I am going to have to buy beer and that is something I have not done for years.

Been kind of lost as of late in a way. My daughter has been spending the summer with her mom this year. My ex has never really wanted to spend time with her until now and not having my kid around has got me in a funk.

I'm in the same boat Brother. 3 more weeks until they're home.

Vman, Snaps,

I definitely feel for you guys. My daughter will be heading off to college in a few weeks and I'm not looking forward to that. I'm happy for her, she's been looking forward to this day a long time and its just part of life b

So, I was going to make some simple syrup today. Poured the sugar and water into the pot, turned on the heat. Went to get my citric acid powder. Couldn't find it. Came back, stirred the pot. Hmm, it's brown now. Not scorched much, but it's light carmel syrup now. :p

I like carmelizing sugar like that to make rice. Brown sugar, olive oil, get it hot, keep stirring, then turn it down, add white rice and water as usual. Simmer 20 minutes. White rice turns to lightly sweet brown rice. Nothing wrong with carmelizing but it gives a different flavor.

I like carmelizing sugar like that to make rice. Brown sugar, olive oil, get it hot, keep stirring, then turn it down, add white rice and water as usual. Simmer 20 minutes. White rice turns to lightly sweet brown rice. Nothing wrong with carmelizing but it gives a different flavor.
Yup, it's actually really good. Just not what I was trying to make. :)

The orange cupcakes are mediocre. I mean, they taste good but I know they can be a lot better.

I've had a craving for hostess orange cupcakes lately. Since they don't seem to exist anymore I thought I'd make something similar. First is the orange cupcake. Then I'll work on some killer orange glaze. I've already got a decent custard creme recipe, though I'll want to tweak it for the cupcake filling.

I took my Mom to a doctors appointment. No bad news from the doctor today. :ban:

On the way we went to a second hand store. I scored a pair of sb-cr33 floor speakers for 10 bucks a piece. They look to be in good shape. I just need to pick up a decent stereo head unit someplace now.

I was planning on taking the speakers out of the boxes and painting them black. Since I know we have some pretty serious audio guys in here, should I do anything with the insides of the boxes while I've got them open? I'd think about leaving them as is, but one of them got over spray from some white spray paint on the side of it.

I also picked up a nice little ceramic jug, two sets of crystal, and a really nice table cloth.

saversscore.jpg

All in all, I spent 106 dollars. Not to bad.

I always have mixed feelings when I find complete sets of crystal at a second hand store. On the one hand, I'm happy that I found it so I can buy it. On the other, I'm sad because it almost always means someone has died.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDAJR-KSQUw"]Blue Stahli - Metamorphosis[/ame]
Hmm, it would be less work for sure. I've got a bottle of acetone I could try on the over spray.

All in all, I spent 106 dollars. Not to bad.

I always have mixed feelings when I find complete sets of crystal at a second hand store. On the one hand, I'm happy that I found it so I can buy it. On the other, I'm sad because it almost always means someone has died.

Someone is saying to you "I have to step out, party on for me." Smile and remember this when your time to exit comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Dan, poetry hour. A rock is a rock in this one.

My Beloved

When I look into his chair,
I see him there.

I blink.
He's gone.

I have looked up so many times,
He was there.

I memorized the view.
I loved him.

I look up, he's there.
A split second, the first place my mind attaches itself.

His chair.
The view.

The one I looked up so many times to see.
The one my mind memorized.

When I look up, he will always be there.
If only for a split second.

BobbiLynn ~ 2013

Ah, poetry. One of those media that finds it's own meaning in the hearts and minds of each reader. Sing on wood lark. Sing on.

Oooh. To much wine tonight. I suppose I should stop drinking... Except I've still got half a glass left and it would be a shame to waste it...

Oooh. To much wine tonight. I suppose I should stop drinking... Except I've still got half a glass left and it would be a shame to waste it...

I feel your pain. I can't stop drinking this blackberry wine even though it is premature. My poor teeth, between eating blackberries and blueberries now too, my teeth are dark! Staining big time. I gave a pint to a friend and she traded me for "white strips" she got from the dentist but didn't care to use. So now I am worried how I will look for the family reunion even though it does not matter! My family loves me no matter what. Even with blackberry stained teeth!

I feel your pain. I can't stop drinking this blackberry wine even though it is premature. My poor teeth, between eating blackberries and blueberries now too, my teeth are dark! Staining big time. I gave a pint to a friend and she traded me for "white strips" she got from the dentist but didn't care to use. So now I am worried how I will look for the family reunion even though it does not matter! My family loves me no matter what. Even with blackberry stained teeth!
Hi BL. Why not write something about blackberry wine, if the muse takes you anyway.

I don't like teeth whitening products. Some of them weaken your enamel. I can't be sure, but I think using whitening toothpaste is part of the reason why my teeth have fallen apart, though part of that is genetic. No good teeth in my family.

Hmm, drank that last 1/2 glass of wine. Should I drink more and pass out, or stop drinking and go to sleep more or less sober?

Picked up an interesting side gig tomorrow. Ill be the rescue and rigging expert and on site EMT for a company that inspects water seals and paint. They're sending a guy down rappelling inside a 3200' long pipeline up near Truckee.
Should be a fun gig, and the pay is good.

For Dan, poetry hour. A rock is a rock in this one.

My Beloved

When I look into his chair,
I see him there.

I blink.
He's gone.

I have looked up so many times,
He was there.

I memorized the view.
I loved him.

I look up, he's there.
A split second, the first place my mind attaches itself.

His chair.
The view.

The one I looked up so many times to see.
The one my mind memorized.

When I look up, he will always be there.
If only for a split second.

BobbiLynn ~ 2013

Heart wrenching and beautiful BobbiLynn
Which is a part of the life we all live in
There is great depth and pain in this lifelong game
As well as joy and happiness, we are all the same

I'm not sure the next bit is appropriate
Here's the Byrds, because they get it.
Not really their own idea you see
They found their words from Ecclesiastes three

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeep Jeep'ng and mine's still broken. Drove it to work today 20 miles, drove a few different places on base. It ran perfectly and then just turned over but wouldn't start.

I changed out the distributor cap and rotor last Friday. Cheap and simple, took me maybe 5 minutes. Jeep fired right up after that, ran smooth, real smooth. An hour later tried to fire it up again. Just turned over. Had my buddy try to start it while I jiggled the wire harness around the ECM/PCM and it ran. Removed the connectors and cleaned them out with some electrical contact cleaner. Put it all together and it worked.. for awhile.

Did some digging on the internet. Not an uncommon problem on Jeeps built in the late nineties. One guy changed almost everything but the computer, (ECM/PCM) with no luck.

Long story short (not really). The design of the computer cover appears to be a common fault. The screws used to hold the cover in place are to long and after time cause a problem. Simple fix is to put a few 8mm washers under them. That's it. Whatever pinching, adverse twisting or whatever the long screws were causing was the culprit for the engine dying problem for many Jeep owners. I hope to be in the mix of those guys.. Gonna go get some washer and give this a shot.

I know through working on airplane electrical systems sometimes a very easy fix no matter how crazy it sounds, just works. Especially when talking about fitment and wiring.

We'll see. Going to give it a go tomorrow. I have nothing to lose. Gave my old jeep up for reliable many years ago but it still kept getting me where I needed to go every time.. until recently.:mug:

Picked up an interesting side gig tomorrow. Ill be the rescue and rigging expert and on site EMT for a company that inspects water seals and paint. They're sending a guy down rappelling inside a 3200' long pipeline up near Truckee.
Should be a fun gig, and the pay is good.

3/4 mile down a tube? That sounds amazing! What happens if he gets stuck or has a medical condtion? That's where you come in?

Back