Kitchenaid Grain Mill Attachment - Any opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a search for 'kitchenaid mill'. You'll find lots of threads about this. :mug:

Edit: OK I just searched and 'lots' is actually 7 including this one. But the info is there. :D

For that much you can buy a Barley Crusher or a Crankenstein and not have a big powdery mess in your kitchen. I think the kitchen aid attachment would break up the hulls too much as its made more for flour.

SuperiorBrew said:
For that much you can buy a Barley Crusher or a Crankenstein and not have a big powdery mess in your kitchen. I think the kitchen aid attachment would break up the hulls too much as its made more for flour.
Agreed. The Kitchen Aid mill is designed to make flour. Why not get a mill specifically designed to crush the malt for your beers?

If you read some of the other threads you'll see that it actually will work (as per people who have used it). It's just not convenient because of the hopper size (it's about a wopping ONE cup).

Not that I disagree with you guys. :) I wouldn't use one.

The only ADVANTAGE I can see over a BarleyCrusher-type mill is higher SWMBO-acceptability. You might have to lie about intending to use it to make her dinner from scratch or something, though...

the_bird said:
...You might have to lie about intending to use it to make her dinner from scratch or something, though...
I might be able to get away with this since I do make her dinner pretty much every night from scratch! (yes, I am highly domesticated...) :D :D

Thanks for the links.....i've made the decision to pass on it for cost, hopper-sized, and quality reasons.

Back