Did I screw up??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas3019

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a few weeks now and even made a couple of small batches of cider that were mediocre at best. The last batch that I started last week seems to have the most promise but I'm afraid I might have screwed it up.

Here's what I did:
1.75 gallons of Wegman's apple juice
About a cup of brown sugar to get the OG up to 1.06
A box of raisins
Half a packet of S-05 yeast

Mixed everything up and let it sit a week. Measured the specific gravity last night and it was at 1.01 - also tasted pretty good! Racked to a bottling bucket and bottled them all last night.

I did NOT add any priming sugar since I figured there was still some sugar left with the FG at 1.01 to carb it. Did I just totally screw up? Am I going to go home to bottle bombs today or will it not carb too much?

you'll be fine mate, it'll just take a little longer to carb up. Did you put any of that cider into a plastic bottle to check carbonation levels? If not, I'd suggest opening a bottle 4 days after bottling to check the levels

Thanks! No issues so far. I didn't have a plastic bottle around so didn't make a trial bottle. Definitely will do that next time. Once they're done can I just put them in them in the fridge or should I do that stovetop pasteurization method first?

It depends on what has you concerned; Are you concerned about over-carbonation or under-carbonation? If you are concerned about; over-carbonation, I would'nt worry- A F.G. of 1.01 should be sufficient to lightly carbonate the cider. ( If you were seeking a brew that holds a 3 inch thick head-you may be out of luck, however that is generally not considered desirable in Hard Cider anyhow.) If you are concerned about; under-carbonation, I would also not be too overly strung out-As afore mentioned a F.G. of 1.01 should be sufficient to LIGHTLY carbonate the cider.

Back