Dunkel for Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knuckleheadbrewing

Reaction score
I will helping to present a homebrew seminar, and pouring homebrew for patrons of the Oktoberfest. One brewer is bringing a Roggenbier, another a Hefeweizen, and I was planning on a traditional Dunkelweizen (well sans the decoction mash).

I've never brewed a dunkel before any one car to look over this recipe for me?

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

KnuckleDunk-2

Recipe specifics:

Style: Dunkelweizen
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.5 gal
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
Bitterness (IBU): 11.5
Color (SRM): 21.6
ABV: 5.9%

Grain/Sugars:

5.00 lb Wheat, Dark (German), 47.6%
3.50 lb Pilsener (German), 33.3%
1.00 lb Munich (German), 9.5%
0.50 lb CaraMunich, 4.8%
0.25 lb Special "B" (Belgian), 2.4%
0.25 lb Chocolate Wheat Malt, 2.4%

Hops:

1.00 oz Hallertauer (AA 3.2%, Pellet) 60 min, 11.5 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast Term range 68-72*

Recipe Notes:

Mash at 152* 60 minutes
Mash out 168* 10 minutes

Thanks to BrewR from my tablet for formatting the recipe and doing the math!

That looks pretty good to me. I brew a more "domestic" if you will version of a Dunkelweis quite ofter. I always skip the decoction. Great Beer, very well balanced and if your trying to introduce the masses to more traditional and flavorful beers I think this is a great choice.

:tank:

.....if your trying to introduce the masses to more traditional and flavorful beers I think this is a great choice.

:tank:

That is exactly what we are doing! Thanks, just wanted another set of eyes to look at it....Maybe it will turn out great and I can add it to my normal rotation!

I have done my dunkel twice and done a double decoction for both brews, although I'm going to try it at 152 with mashout next time to see if the flavor really requires the 10 hour brewday. My scotch ale tasted better with the decoction than without.

I know there's been a lot of debate on decoction, but I love it for certain styles.

Your recipe looks good, though; nice, dark and malty. I'd like to hear how it turns out! :mug:

I have done my dunkel twice and done a double decoction for both brews, although I'm going to try it at 152 with mashout next time to see if the flavor really requires the 10 hour brewday. My scotch ale tasted better with the decoction than without.

I know there's been a lot of debate on decoction, but I love it for certain styles.

Your recipe looks good, though; nice, dark and malty. I'd like to hear how it turns out! :mug:

Bought everything to do it today....10g batch 21lbs of grain. Will be firing Brewster up Saturday morning.

Brewed it Saturday....
P8030705.jpg

If you have a couple blow offs, you may want to plug those puppies up. Weizen yeast can be explosive, especially at the higher temps.

The recipe looks good, BTW.

If you have a couple blow offs, you may want to plug those puppies up. Weizen yeast can be explosive, especially at the higher temps.

The recipe looks good, BTW.

One has kicked off already, it's fermenting at about 68* the other is fermenting in my fridge at about 58*...Last check the one in the fridge hasnt kicked off...The one at 68* is going crazy. If no activity Monday, I will make the fridge warmer.

Back