First Partial Mash Coming Up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shunoshi

Reaction score
So, I picked up a 2-gallon Rubbermaid cooler and am picking up the remaining parts to slap together a mini-MLT tonight. I now have to attempt my first PM, but don't know what to make. I want to make a "tried and true" recipe with a grain bill that utilizes flavors that would be difficult (or impossible) to achieve with extract brewing.

As a side note, I'm not a hophead. I prefer to roll on the malty side of things. Brown, red, and English pale ales are my favorites, but I wouldn't mind making something different. There are a few restrictions I have however. I can't do full boils; my stove can only really handle 3-3.5 gallons. I also don't have the means to do cold fermenting, so lagers are out.

I'm open for any suggestions! Just want to make a great beer for my first PM!! :mug:

YooperBrew said:
Well, I have a good Pete's Wicked clone that would meet your requirements, if you're interested.

Hmm, I don't remember the last time I had a Pete's Wicked. I don't even remember what they taste like. Consider me interested anyhow though; I'd like to take a look at the recipe. :D

My first (and only) PM I made an Oatmeal Licorice Stout, it is my best beer by far and has received great reviews from others. The licorice seems to only be noticeable to those who enjoy licorice, my licorice hating friends can't taste it.

6.50 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 64.1 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.9 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.9 %
0.79 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.42 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.2 %
0.42 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.2 %
4.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 110.5 IBU
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.66 items Brewers Licorice (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal Portland OR Water
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.9 %
Bitterness: 116.5 IBU Calories: 296 cal/pint
Est Color: 36.0 SRM

*Use late extract addition method

An oatmeal stout would be interesting, but I cringe at the thought of licorice. I really, really hate black licorice. :(

shunoshi said:
Hmm, I don't remember the last time I had a Pete's Wicked. I don't even remember what they taste like. Consider me interested anyhow though; I'd like to take a look at the recipe. :D

Ok, Pete's Wicked!

OG 1.053
FG 1.012
IBUs: 20.6

1/2 pound Vienna Malt
1/2 pound Crystal 60L
1.75 pounds 20row
1/4 pound chocolate

Mash for 45 minutes at 155 degrees in 2.5 gallons water. Remove grains and bring to a boil.

5.5 Pounds LME

1 oz Brewer's Gold (60 mins)
.5 oz East Kent Golding (15 minutes)

For yeast use either WL British ale yeast, or Windsor dry yeast.

I made this about a year ago, and it was good! I used Windsor yeast.

YooperBrew said:
Ok, Pete's Wicked!

OG 1.053
FG 1.012

1/2 pound Vienna Malt
1/2 pound Crystal 60L
1.75 pounds 20row
1/4 pound chocolate

Mash for 45 minutes at 155 degrees in 2.5 gallons water. Remove grains and bring to a boil.

5.5 Pounds LME

1 oz Brewer's Gold (60 mins)
.5 oz East Kent Golding (15 minutes)

For yeast use either WL British ale yeast, or Windsor dry yeast.

Yooper, looks good. I'd like to try this one too. What's your boil volume? Or better yet, what's your target IBUs?

TIA

That boil volume was 2.5 gallons- I followed the recipe exactly as written. I don't know the IBUs- that was before I had brewing software. I can run it through the beersmith software later tonight, though. (My daughter is on my computer and I'm using my husband's without the software).

It was actually pretty good. I'm more of a hophead now but I remember it being very enjoyable.

I edited the recipe to reflect the IBUs.

Yooper, what should the mash volume be? 2.5 gallons seems way too high for 3 lbs. of grain (I'm thinking more like 1 gallon, then 1.5 gallons for sparge to make a 2.5 gallon boil?).

Otherwise the recipe sounds interesting (although I only have a 2 gallon MLT, so a 2.5 gallon mash wouldn't work :( ).

shunoshi said:
Yooper, what should the mash volume be? 2.5 gallons seems way too high for 3 lbs. of grain (I'm thinking more like 1 gallon, then 1.5 gallons for sparge to make a 2.5 gallon boil?).

Otherwise the recipe sounds interesting (although I only have a 2 gallon MLT, so a 2.5 gallon mash wouldn't work :( ).

I did it just as written- all grains in a grain bag and then mashed in 2.5 gallons of water. I did a little sparge only, just about 1 quart of so to rinse the grain.

Now, you're more correct. A good volume is 1.5 quarts per pound for mashing, and then sparge. But that was my first or second pm and it worked out fine for me with those directions. Since the recipe is using LME (or DME) to make up the difference in efficiency, I wasn't too concerned about that. It did give great flavor to the beer and I was happy with it.

I've done PMs in my bottling bucket lined with a big grain bag and done them in the kettle. If you have a large grain bag, you could use your kettle. Or go ahead and use that 2 gallon MLT and do it the way you've described- that should all fit!

Latest posts

Back