I added heavy cream to my wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will this beer turn out?

• Move aside Sam Adams theres a new beer in town!

• Strange, not objectionable, what the heck am I drinking?

• Well its not harmful, maybe the frat house down the street wants it.

• Cheese-beer induced food poisoning

Results are only viewable after voting.
These include my creation next to my beautiful maple-honey brown ale, a picture of the type of yeast I added towards the end, and my cheese cloth full of bananas siting in the beer

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

I added a few pounds more sliced bananas to a cheese cloth and dropped it in the primary, along with a pound of lactose and a packet of champagne yeast in case the ale yeast is not able to raise the alcohol content to the desired 12-13%. To get everything jiving again, I added some more molasses and spices when I boiled up the lactose.

I think you've gone of the Beersivation here.

On taste - well if it tastes good to you.. then great. I'm not as suspicious on spoilage as a lot of others. The have some organic milks now that are shelved for a month - shelf, not fridged. Granted it is treated to prevent bacteria, but then I assume you did the same (aka boil etc).

This does however fill in as part of my 'beer beliefs' rule 32 which says 'Someone has thought of it, it has been fermented.' This rule doesn't tell how it turned out just that it has been attempted.

Well, three out of four roommates (Myself included) agree it tastes good. It tastes like banana bread and when the bananas I added turn all brown and delicious it will only get better. I am switching to the secondary on Tuesday!

Also, the thickness of the beer is cool the bananas add a smooth mouth feel along with the cream in it.

Unless I'm crazy, it even LOOKS like banana cream in your pictures. If you end up in Chicago with a bottle or two I wouldn't say no to trying it...:ban:

I'm not so sure that this beer won't hold a head. There might be the fat and oils, but there is also going to be a lot of protein as well. My wager is that it does hold a good head. Maybe even great.

Have I just witnessed history being made? Is this the first successful attempt of its kind? If so, I'm totally carving "Creamy wuz here" into the desk.

I still can't imagine this not eventually souring, but good luck to you! I'd think getting this thing cleaned up and chilled as soon as possible might help keep the bacteria at bay.

I'm not so sure that this beer won't hold a head. There might be the fat and oils, but there is also going to be a lot of protein as well. My wager is that it does hold a good head. Maybe even great.

That would be cool! If it has a good head, it might look cool with its creamy color and a slice of banana bread on the side of glass as a garnish

I still can't imagine this not eventually souring, but good luck to you! I'd think getting this thing cleaned up and chilled as soon as possible might help keep the bacteria at bay.

well after a week or two it will be tossed in the fridge.

Subscribed. Intrigued to see the results of this Banana Cream Beer. Or BCB I have called it reading this thread..good luck.

Pretty sweet :) I hope the champagne yeast doesn't strip out too much of your mouthfeel. Once you've got it bottled, carbed and tasted you'll need to publish the whole recipe, seems like you may have broken some new interesting ground.

I... I... uh... :drunk:

no words...

I need a mental pilsner to wash this idea out of my head. Maybe an imaginary cracker and glass of water to cleanse my brain buds. My thought palate is blown. :cross:

So ....conflicted. I love bananas...I love beer...Do I want whole bananas in my beer? I love banana milkshakes, maybe it will be similar? Add some cocoa and I may offer to drive from CHI to VA to try it.

This is great. I can't believe that you're still adding sh*t to this thing! For comedic value, will you please add your full recipe to this once its finished?

Oh, and just so you know... I've decided that you look something like this:
monkey_banana.jpg

Something tells me this will climax the same way the fermented Ovaltine did...

I am thoroughly intrigued, please post the recipe when it's all done, I kinda want to see what beersmith would say about this

I totally want to see what you ended up with and It would be interesting to see how it ages. I would imagine the shelf life would not be very long.

I thought one8tvw's recipe was pretty wild and it turned out good. I am definitely on the edge of my seat on this one. I'm pretty sure I'll never be as creative as either of them.

Haha, maybe so, but who drinks beer with a straw?
I drank beer with a straw once while waiting for a dentist office to open on Monday after a mosh pit incident...

I have also never, ever been more excited about someone else's beer.

If you are bottling and want to ship a few to Florida I promise to share it with a beer judge.

I'll see if I can figure out the recipie, I don't have beersmith but have heard great things about it. Seeing. What it makes of it would be cool

How did it not curdle? I added evaporatd milk once & it cirdled like crazy. It flocculated though & ended up okay. Evap milk is pastuerized though!!

How did it not curdle? I added evaporatd milk once & it cirdled like crazy. It flocculated though & ended up okay. Evap milk is pastuerized though!!

Milk will also curdle if added to an acid. Beer is acidic, so that explains the curds :).

For another example ask your bartender for a 'cement mixer'... bailey's irish cream and lime juice. It curdles into a wet-cement-like chunky consistency.

Latest posts

Back