Looking for Surly Darkness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cercueil

Reaction score
Anyone willing to swap Surly Darkness for something from NY or NJ? I don't know what your tastes are but I can get beers from Nectar Ales, Cigar City, Terrapin, Allagash, Dogfish Head, Ommegang, Unibroue, Troegs, Victory, Lagunitas...etc.

I see it occasionally on the Minneapolis craigslist if you want to watch there. Sorry I don't have any myself.

It looks like the 2010 is going for $40. No thanks. I mean if it costs $18 in the store I'm willing to trade someone the equivalent priced beer from NY/NJ but $40 that's crazy.

yeah the farther away from the release day you get, the higher the prices go. I guess it's supply and demand. It may only be $18 in the store but the stores sell out right away.

Yeah, it's kinda crappy. I didn't get a chance to go to the brewery on Darkness Day, which is about the only place you can get it for $18 a bottle. I bought like 4 bottles from local liquor stores at $25 a bottle the next day before they were sold out too, so $40 isn't actually too unreasonable for someone selling. I have two bottles left, and I just posted a trade post for a couple different rare bottles.

Since everyone that bought at the brewery is limited to 6, and the stores that sell it limit people to 1 or 2 per person, you might be pretty hard pressed to find someone willing to trade one for $18 worth of stuff, IMHO.

Not trying to be a dick, just realistic.

I tried the elusive Surly Darkness on 4th of July. Thankfully I didn't purchase it. I must say the bottle design is the best thing about this beer. Not sure how it got on the ratebeer top 50. I drank the 2011 one so maybe it needed to age more but it was like drinking sugar. Maybe some of the other years were better but to me this was a let down. Once you get by the sweetness the taste isn't bad but to me I felt like it didn't attenuate well enough.

Latest posts

Back