Dry hop, 1 week or 2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
Hey,

Not new to brewing, but new to dry hopping.

I had in the past used tabs to attempt to dry hop some brews, with limited success and in an attempt to make it a little cheaper. But as they failed I've now just properly dry hopped (1oz of cent tabs on Wednsday) my first batch.

I was planning on Dry hopping for 2 weeks, but I have been reading up on it and there seems alot of negative comments about "grassy" flavours that may appear if you hop more than 1 week, some even advise 4 days, others are suggesting months.

What would you recommend?

Little more info:
5 gallon batch, IPA/APA style, 2 weeks in Primary before hop addition, hops are in the primary now, no secondary used. Had a 10 minute additon on boil, nothing on flame out.

I used to dry hop for two weeks but every now and then I would get a grassy taste in the beer. After switching to one week, I get all the flavor and no grass... [\2ȼ]

I dry hopped once and it was for just under two weeks. Every now and again I think I taste a slight grassy taste to the beer, but it is by no means overpowering or very obvious. Doing it again I would probably dry hop for a week.

I've only dry hopped two of my beers now, but both of them were dry hopped for 1 week after 2-3 weeks in the primary. I racked both to a secondary before adding hops, but I hear of great results adding directly to primary too.

Either way, 1 week should be plenty. How much did you add and of what variety of hops?

Taste the beer every couple of days or so. When you like the taste, take it off of the hops.

Dry hop time is very different from brewer to brewer. Some (Russian River) like dry hop times up to 12 days. Others (Firestone Walker), keep dry hop times around 5-7 days.

Personally, I've like the beers that I've dry hopped 12-14 days. Give it a try and figure out what works for you.

wonder if hop freshness has anything to do with it. The LHBS hops never do that for me at 2 weeks, but my garden hops will some times if I over do it.

On my current batch, a six-gallon, I tossed 4 ounces of hops into the fermenter Sunday evening. On Tuesday evening, I took a gravity and taste sample, and the beer already has a nice fresh hoppy nose to it. FWIW :D

Was centennial 1oz.

But ok, overwhelming for a 1 week here. So I'll shoot for that.

Wee note, funny one, we had a wasp infestation yesterday that we noticed first time, sprayed the hell outta the nest from the outside of the house so they decided to chew a hole into the basement, where I keep my beer. bugs everywhere, was halfway through bug bombing the room and running around spraying a can of industrial bug killer when I realised....aghghhhh thats my fermenter overthere covered in wasps....

Grapped about 30kg of beer and ran upstairs, where it is 25 degrees C, lets see if this turns into one of those "things you did to ruin your beer and it turns out great" storys.

...bugs....

Back