Done fermenting??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flander

Reaction score
Hi all, This is my first post, and i'm working on my very first batch.

I've done all the reading I can including the "When to go from Primary to Secondary" post, but need some clarification (no pun intended). I'm brewing a box of Barons Premium Brown Ale. The instructions say to put in the primary for 3-6 days and once the gravity gets to 1.020 or less transfer to the carboy. I took a reading at the beginning and it was 1.050. For three days at 68 degrees it bubbled like crazy, and on day three its now quiet. I took a reading and its down to 1.014, so I transfered to the secondary.

The final gravity in the instructions says it should be at 1.013-1.019, it seems that its there already. Is this normal?

There doesn't seem to be any bubbles coming through the airlock. The instructions say to leave for 14 days, is this simply for clearing/conditioning?

Has the fermenting finished?

Thanks

First off, welcome to HBT.

Primary fermentation only takes 5-7 days, so what you have is completely normal. Now there are many people here who debate the necessity of the secondary (I'm not one of them, I secondary all my beers), but the term secondary fermentation is wrong. No fermentation should happen in the secondary, the secondary is only there for clarification and bulk aging. So yes your beer is done fermenting.

Ya you are fine, some yeast finish faster than others. However, I would advice you to leave any beer you brew in the primary for at least 2 weeks. Often times the yeast are not done 'cleaning up' so to speak and they can benefit from staying on the cake.

Secondaries are fine if you want, but again I would recommend not moving to a secondary until around 2 weeks or longer.

The instructions that come with kits are notoriously inaccurate. I would suggest using the search function on this website or going to www.howtobrew.com and just immerse yourself in it, that website has pretty much everything you need to know. Good luck brewing!

Back