Screw top aluminum bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transamguy77

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to home brewing and have a question about using screw top aluminum bottles. A friend of mine gave me 2 cases of these bottles but i am not sure if I can use them to bottle my beer, they are similar to the aluminum bottles that you could get Miller Lite in. What are the thoughts from the brewing masses?

I'd recommend against it , their compatibility with acidic beer, sanitizers, being unknown. Seeing that you're new to brewing, stick with the standards (glass bottles/capper) before experimenting. Save them for later...

They do look like they have a liner in them, comparing them to a can. Hex, I was thinking the same, just thought someone would say it was fine. I have 2+ cases of bottles but these are bigger and have screw tops and would be faster on bottling day.

I agree mostly with Hex.

If you really have an itch on bottling day. Fill 2 bottles with your aluminum cans and the rest with the glass. This way if things go bad, you only wasted +/- 2 beers.

I know a guy that uses them for camping he has not had a problem. But I woud only try one or two to make sure you will be set..

Hmm...I just bought 2 screw-top 24oz aluminum Monster Energy drink cans that have no liner. Might fill one up next bottling day and see what happens.

Thanks for the info guys, I will bottle a couple and see how it goes I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Beer in a Monster can? That is brilliant, That would solve the problem I have at the softball field. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Beer in a Monster can? That is brilliant, That would solve the problem I have at the softball field. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Only issue is that it doesn't have threads on the screw top. It's different than most screw-tops...not sure if that's good or bad. I'm probably bottling on Friday, so I'll see how it goes. That can will be sealed in a tupperware upright pitcher just in case.

Here's a pic of the can: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Xv6ve11VL._SS500_.jpg

Ok so the screw top bottles were a success! My Pale Ale has been bottled now for several weeks now and I cracked open one last night, it was a relief to hear that Pssstt! I don't think I will use them exclusively but a sixer from up coming batches will be in order.

Found an aluminum, screw top bottle, 16.5 oz. I'll try reusing one today. It looks plastic, but demolition test with kitchen shears confirm it to be plastic coating inside and out of an aluminum bottle.

IMG_9248.JPG

IMG_9249.JPG

The UCC bottle above is holding carbonation very nicely...I will post a report when I open that beer.

Found that Ball licensed the above bottles from UCC in 2006.

Here is what Ball offers.
Ball Alumi-Tek image below.
alumi-tek%20black%2016oz%20thumb.jpg

"This can is often used for: Beer, coffee drinks, soft drinks, teas, juices and more"
Possible small market to supply homebrewers refillable, generic, screw top aluminum bottles, .25c each?

To cater to the increased demand, the company will produce Alumi-Tek bottles at its Golden, Colorado plant facility, expectedly in the second half of 2011.

The UCC bottle above is holding carbonation very nicely...I will post a report when I open that beer.

Found that Ball licensed the above bottles from UCC in 2006.

Here is what Ball offers.
Ball Alumi-Tek image below.
http://www.ballamericas.com/img/metalbev/alumi-tek%20black%2016oz%20thumb.jpg[/IMG

"This can is often used for: Beer, coffee drinks, soft drinks, teas, juices and more"
Possible small market to supply homebrewers refillable, generic, screw top aluminum bottles, .25c each?[/quote]

Man, I'd love a couple cases of those to ship beer in!

IMG_9250.JPG

Here it is, Ball's AlumiTek screw top aluminum bottle, disguised as Miller Lite Beer. I got 9 in a pack, drank out of one, and am pouring the rest into glass, to save the bottles to refill with homebrew.

I've been doing some digging and discussing the feasibility of this bottle, generic/no label, sterile, CO2 filled (yes, I said empty) and sealed AlumiTek bottle packaged for use for our homebrew community.

What would you pay for a case of 12 from your LHBS? I'd seriously consider $6 + recycle value if all I had to do on bottling day was twist off a cap, fill, and re-twist the cap back on. No sanitation required, a blanket of CO2 in the bottle, plus all the benefits of lightproof, shatterproof, quick chillin', etc. aluminum cans...TBC

aluminum can = 0.003"
Miller Lite AlumiTek bottle = 0.006"
Black Mamba Venom ? bottle is virtually crush-proof (guessing 0.020"+), a very thick gauge aluminum cylinder. The cap is of the same material as the Miller, but the bottle has a modified plastic threading.
IMG_9254.JPG

The Black Mamba Venom bottle holds 16.9oz/500ml compared to the Miller which holds a pint.
IMG_9256.JPG

Monster.
IMG_9263.JPG

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_9250.JPG[/IMG

Here it is, Ball's AlumiTek screw top aluminum bottle, disguised as Miller Lite Beer. I got 9 in a pack, drank out of one, and am pouring the rest into glass, to save the bottles to refill with homebrew.

I've been doing some digging and discussing the feasibility of this bottle, generic/no label, sterile, CO2 filled (yes, I said empty) and sealed AlumiTek bottle packaged for use for our homebrew community.

What would you pay for a case of 12 from your LHBS? I'd seriously consider $6 + recycle value if all I had to do on bottling day was twist off a cap, fill, and re-twist the cap back on. No sanitation required, a blanket of CO2 in the bottle, plus all the benefits of lightproof, shatterproof, quick chillin', etc. aluminum cans...TBC[/quote]

I'm assuming they'd be reusable? Obviously would have to sanitize them after the first time, but I'd pay at least $1 a bottle just for the durability and ability to take camping, on the river, etc.

Performance report.
All 12 of the bottlecans held carbonation until they were opened on the hike.
Even though I rinsed the heck out of all the bottlecans and sanitized them thoroughly, my Special Bitters from the re-used Monster, Creamy Mellon/Mango, and Venom bottlecans all tasted like their respective soft drinks.
The MillerLite bottlecans worked the best. They tasted like beer, my beer, and were well received.
I enjoyed watching one of our camp guests screw their cap on and off about twenty times during their sample by the fireside.
The bottlecans were definitely useful (light weight, quick chillin' in the river, shatter proof, resealable).
I recommend one-time re-use only, then recycle...

i did apfelwein in old aluminum screw cap miller lite bottles (the 9 packs)... it worked great... no bad taste... good carbonation... but, i think the plastic ones are better for multiple reuse... although eventually, you will have "layer separation" in the plastic bottles... they are made from multiple sheets of plastic...

I am throwing the aluminum ones out after reuse cause i don't think you can get the labeling off... :-( I hate giving someone a beer with old factory labeling on it... plus its harder to gauge when to stop pouring cause you can't see when the last inch of sediment from bottle conditioning starts moving...

Back