first dumper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
opened 4 bottles of a cain and ebel clone. got two foamers and two that taste like wet newspaper. really bad aftertaste. they were three weeks in primary then three weeks in the bottle. i dry hopped for ten days. i think i got a lot of trub in the bottles.some are an inch thick on the bottom. i have always star san the snot out of everything.this was my eleventh all grain batch all the others were really good. i am so bummed because i have ten gallons fermenting and now i am worried that they are bad also. sorry just had to rant:(

ok no offence but if this is ur 11th ag how did u get 2 much trub. Im on my 2nd ag and am loving the ability to have more in the fermanter so i get no where near the trub. but isnt paper/cardboard flavor oxidization?

got greedy and siphoned off too much. i also added a pick up tube to my bottling bucket so any trub that got into the bucket got into the bottles. whatever happened this stuff is funky. i am going to have to reveiw all my process's

An inch sounds like a lot of trub in the bottle, some times the yeast kind off settles out on the heel of the and makes it look thicker than normal.

I've heard the same thing about cardboard/newspaper tastes being a result of oxidation for what its worth.

i have a bottling bucket that i fill with starsan after i take the spigot apart and clean the bottling wand. i dry hopped with pellets and i got a lot of funk in the bottles . almost looked like muck from the bottom of a pond. i don't have a camera at the moment or i would post a pic

I wrapped a sanitized nylon hop bag around the bottom of my autosiphon once. It did the job ok, but I had so much gunk it kept clogging up the mesh and blocking the flow. I had to give it a swirl or jiggle every now and then to keep it going.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the newspaper though, good luck.

i wrapped a hop bag also i sprayed it with star san . i am thinkink i should have dunked it in a jar os star san. i also think the mesh bag on the siphon hose may have oxygenated the wort. no more pellet hops for dry hopping for me

Back