Help Me Make an "ORDINARY" APA not Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, I'd like to make an ordinary APA. I know that I want it to be American malts and cascades. I'm thinking about basing it off of Jamils ordinary bitter recipe found here http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsOrdinaryBitter.htm.

This is what I have so far.

6 lbs pale 2 row
8 oz crystal 120
4 oz Amber malt
Nottingham

1 oz. Cascade 60 minutes
0.50 oz. Cascade 30 minutes
0.50 oz. Cascade 1 minute
0.25 oz. Cascade dry hop

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
J

Are you trying to stay in the style guidelines of an ordinary, but with American malt and hops? Because your looking at about 3.1%ABV and an OG of about 1.032 which is far too low for an APA and an even an ordinary. Unless you are shooting for higher than 75% efficiency, I'd say you need to up the 2 row. The C120 will also give you a dried fruit thing going on. I'm not sure if you like that, but I avoid that high of crystal for my pales. I prefer the 40-60 range caramel notes.

Are you trying to stay in the style guidelines of an ordinary, but with American malt and hops? Because your looking at about 3.1%ABV and an OG of about 1.032 which is far too low for an APA and an even an ordinary. Unless you are shooting for higher than 75% efficiency, I'd say you need to up the 2 row. The C120 will also give you a dried fruit thing going on. I'm not sure if you like that, but I avoid that high of crystal for my pales. I prefer the 40-60 range caramel notes.

Well, I really like the low abv, but complex stuff that an ordinary bitter has going on. So to answer you question yes, I'm trying to use American grains/hops, but in the guidelines of a ordinary bitter. What would you recommend?

I'm not exactly clear on what you are after here. Do you want it to be less hop forward and have a maltier base than a normal APA? Your hop schedule is all kinda late to be bitter based.

Well, I really like the low abv, but complex stuff that an ordinary bitter has going on. So to answer you question yes, I'm trying to use American grains/hops, but in the guidelines of a ordinary bitter. What would you recommend?

Well, to go with what your after here, I'd still up the 2 row by a pound and add 6oz of biscuit or victory. This does two things: 1. The increased malt will help balance out the stronger cascade (since your hop schedule is derived from EKG in the original recipe) 2. The victory adds a similar quality that your after in the British 2-row while still using american malts.

I've heard that many U.S. brewers U.S. brewers use small amounts of victory to English style ales to achieve a similar effect of British 2-row without the increased cost.

I concur. I wouldn't go below OG 1035 with this one, and you do need a bit more malt backbone to get round the more assertive American hops.

I'd choose a grist not unlike what you started with. Definitely swap 60L Crystal/caramel for the 120L; that much 120L will overpower the beer. Swap Victory for the Amber.

I also urge you to use a distinctively American yeast for this. Nottingham, while "clean", should be eschewed in favor of S-05, Wyeast 1056, WL001 or WL051 (if you want a slightly more assertive ester profile).

Cheers!

Bob

I concur. I wouldn't go below OG 1035 with this one, and you do need a bit more malt backbone to get round the more assertive American hops.

I'd choose a grist not unlike what you started with. Definitely swap 60L Crystal/caramel for the 120L; that much 120L will overpower the beer. Swap Victory for the Amber.

I also urge you to use a distinctively American yeast for this. Nottingham, while "clean", should be eschewed in favor of S-05, Wyeast 1056, WL001 or WL051 (if you want a slightly more assertive ester profile).

Cheers!

Bob

Yeah, I may try S-05 being I'm a huge fan of dry "cheap" yeast. Hmm, I'm going to revise this recipe tomorrow and get back to you guys. My ultimate goal is to have a beer that I can drink a 6 pack of on Sundays while watching tv and not feel like an alcoholic at the end of the day.

Here's one I made about six weeks ago.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.75 oz Centennial [8.30 %] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.30 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Centennial [8.30 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.30 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

70% Eff. - OG 1.034 - FG 1.009 - ABV 3.3% - IBU 28.7 - Mashed at 154 F.
Set it and forget it carbed to about 2.5 vol.
I ended up w/ 73% Eff and 3.5% ABV.

Pretty good after about 3 wks in a keg. Smooth malt flavor, no bitter bite, with some mild hop flavor in the background.

Next time i make this I'll probably remove the carapils and up the base malt by a 1/2 lb and bump the IBUs to 33 and bump the dry hop to one once.

I would lose the crystal all together, increase the base bu a pound, drop the bittering to 1/2 and ounce, move the flavour from 30 to 20 minutes and bump up the flavour to 3/4 ounce and the aroma at 5 minutes with an ounce.

But that just looks good and I haven't ran it through any software to check out what it would actually look like.

I would lose the crystal all together, increase the base bu a pound, drop the bittering to 1/2 and ounce, move the flavour from 30 to 20 minutes and bump up the flavour to 3/4 ounce and the aroma at 5 minutes with an ounce.

But that just looks good and I haven't ran it through any software to check out what it would actually look like.

You know, that sounds really good. I may run with this. I didn't really do any research about a session APA before I did the OP, but check this recipe BM came up with. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/aberdeen-brewery-session-haus-ale-3-5-ag-37334/

I think that looks really close to what I may actually want to do except for I'd go with all cascades and no Pearle.

You know, that sounds really good. I may run with this. I didn't really do any research about a session APA before I did the OP, but check this recipe BM came up with. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/aberdeen-brewery-session-haus-ale-3-5-ag-37334/

I think that looks really close to what I may actually want to do except for I'd go with all cascades and no Pearle.

Yeah, that do look good.

I like an all cascade APA also. In fact I did one a while back that I have tapped now and while it is a bit lite on flavour, BMC people would love it.
I followed that one with a lot more flavour hops and the brew came out a lot better. Still low bittering, but higher on cascade flavour. I use some cara-pils from time to time, but generally don't use any crystal in my APA's.

Yeah, that do look good.

I like an all cascade APA also. In fact I did one a while back that I have tapped now and while it is a bit lite on flavour, BMC people would love it.
I followed that one with a lot more flavour hops and the brew came out a lot better. Still low bittering, but higher on cascade flavour. I use some cara-pils from time to time, but generally don't use any crystal in my APA's.

Exactly. I think rather than adding the pearle, this is what I'd do for a 5 gallon batch.

1 oz Cascade FWH
1/2 oz 30 mins
1/2 oz flame out

Then I'd dry hop with 1/2 or 1 oz in secondary.

What do you think of that?

I think it's all right. The only issue I have is that FWH imparts a significant amount of flavor on its own; you probably won't need the 30-minute addition.

Bob

Back