My Two Cents on Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebull

Reaction score
Been all grain brewing for two years. Used false bottoms and SS braids in my round ten gallon Gott cooler. Fly sparged and batch sparged. Never real happy with the results. Today I used Biermuncher's copper manifold on a batch sparge and had the best drain ever. Never looking back.

Been all grain brewing for two years. Used false bottoms and SS braids in my round ten gallon Gott cooler. Fly sparged and batch sparged. Never real happy with the results. Today I used Biermuncher's copper manifold on a batch sparge and had the best drain ever. Never looking back.

Okay... got my interest.

Where's the details on Beirmunchers copper manifold?

How fast were you able to drain the mash?

Cheers....

The thread should be easy to find using a search for "copper manifolds". He had pictures and I also found other very good related threads. I chose not to open the valve full open, but it was close and no stuck sparge.

I had two bad brew days with the braid. I opted for a CPVC manifold because it was cheaper and easier for me a the time. I never had a problem sparging since.

Okay... got my interest.

Where's the details on Beirmunchers copper manifold?

:D

Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

BierMuncher do you have a parts list/cost break down? Looks like a good solution for the 10 gallon rubbermaid. It seems like a manifold would work better than stainless braid.

I can attest that the braid has never been a problem, but neither should a manifold if you make the slits thin enough. "Better" is subjective depending on what you're trying to achieve. The braid is really good and cheap if you batch sparge. A manifold is great and is slightly more expensive. It can also work with fly sparging.

BierMuncher do you have a parts list/cost break down? Looks like a good solution for the 10 gallon rubbermaid. It seems like a manifold would work better than stainless braid.

I just happened to have some spare copper laying around from finishing my basement.

The parts are pretty much what you see.

Five elbows.
Five T's
Scrap copper
The usual bulkhead hardware.

I currently use this in my 10-gallon and it works just fine.

BierMuncher, what did you use to make the slits? When I was throwing together my copper manifold, I ended up making the slits too wide, so I get bits of grain in my runnings even after I vorlauf a reasonable amount (at least I don't get stuck sparges, I guess, though).

Would a dremel work well? I figured I could also maybe use a drill and drill small holes all over the manifold, but that seems like more of a pain.

Not to take away from Biermuncher's work, but here's another guide that's available, and it's a video.

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZdYuZWmpg]YouTube - How to make a Mash Tun Part 1 of 2[/ame]

I'm in the middle of completing it now. If you're like me and have absolutely no background in soldering or anything like what's involved in making a copper manifold, it can seem a tad daunting. And truthfully, I ran into a slight snag and have yet to complete mine...

But I have successfully made the cooler water-tight with an installed ball valve, and the copper manifold section is looking pretty good. I just need to connect the two...

As far as expenses? If you don't have any of the tools required, it can cost you a bit. But for me, it wasn't about saving money. I wanted the do-it-yourself experience. I think that's something most homebrewers can appreciate.

...If you're like me and have absolutely no background in soldering or anything like what's involved in making a copper manifold, it can seem a tad daunting.

I'd advise against soldering. It's not needed. Just loose fit the pipes to the joiners and the heat from the mash will lock those things tight.

But...if you want to disassemble to clean them out, once cooled they pull apart very easily.

The problems I had were: I would mash the braid with the paddle while stirring and I would quite often lift the braid off the bottom which resulted in a slow and incomplete drain of the cooler. The copper manifold solved both problems.

Did a Biermuncher Blue Moon Clone today with his copper manifold. Had no problems with a fifty/fifty wheat and grain combo. Drained perfectly and efficiency was good. I did use eight ounces of rice hules (spelling?) in the mix.

Latest posts

Back