I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boerderij Kabouter said:
Time to put that smoker to unintended uses! ;)

I like the idea of a hoppy smoked BW with a hefty amount of rye. Not to style, and properly American.

Oh, that's a fully intended use, and she knows it! I might actually pick it up tonight (I'd love to smoke something nice this weekend, the weather's been SO goregous). I then need to get my hands on some good smoking woods, stuff other than hickory and mesquite.

quick Q:

I knew about the 7-7-7IPA and have done the 8-8-8RIS, but didn't know there was a 6-6-6brew. does someone have a link for that, a search pulled up some "make fun of 666" type threads and Dudes brewday. I didnt know if a recipie was burried in there somewhere.....

perhaps a thread with all the official "number brews" (locked to keep it from getting cluttered up, or only so mods can add the new recipies to it as they come up) would be in one place for easy reference.

just an idea...

I'm not even sure I like Barley Wine, but after reading Brew Pastors recipe I'm intrigued. I think I will brew a Pacific style pale ale this weekend so I have a nice big yeast cake to put Brew Pastor's recipe on and play in the swap this time if you guys don't mind.

Shout "American Homebrewers Association?"

I say stick with the dopplebock and save the barleywine for that big date up ahead. Yopper sent me a bottle of Capital Brewing's Blonde DB and it got my designing mind churning.

But you all decide, what will it be this year my friends? I think we can do better then Water into Barleywine if we go the ABW route.

Brewpastor said:
I say stick with the dopplebock and save the barleywine for that big date up ahead. Yopper sent me a bottle of Capital Brewing's Blonde DB and it got my designing mind churning.

But you all decide, what will it be this year my friends? I think we can do better then Water into Barleywine if we go the ABW route.

I think Brewpastor is right, an ABW would be an excellent style for 12/12/12 to finish out the series. So what to do for the next 3 years?

If the pastor is already working on a Dopplebock for 9/9/09 then I think that is a good way to go. I won't be joining in that swap as I stated above but the beer sounds good.

Craig

My vote is for the following:

9/9/09 - Dopplebock
10/10/10 - Strong Scotch Ale
11/11/11 - Barleywine
12/12/12 - Belgian Trippel

Whichever way, doesn't matter to me. I'm thinking about doing a smoked barleywine regardless (got a cake of US-05, now that I think about it....)

the_bird said:
Whichever way, doesn't matter to me. I'm thinking about doing a smoked barleywine regardless (got a cake of US-05, now that I think about it....)

Well fine bird, you do what you want and not brew with the group......:D

No, I was just throwing out my $0.02 worth. I personaly think if we do a barleywine, might as well do it BIG ie. the '11 or even '12 brew. If we want to go ahead and come up with a recipie for tat and brew it 2-3 years in advance and let it age, I would be up for that fo' sho'.

As mentioned in the other 9-9-9 thread, it might be easier to do a tripel for '12 so we can use the extra sugars to help get up to the 1.120 gravity.

I threw in the Strong scotch ale because, well it sounded good, and sticking it in as the '10 brew with an OG of 1.100 just sounded like the right thing to do. If someone has a better idea for that, please share.:)

I think I'm leaning toward the Blonde Doppelbock, but I'd do the Barleywine just as well. It will be more of a change from the 8/8/8 recipe and we could really do up the 10/10/10 with the BW. I'm going to play Switzerland on this one and let you guys hash it out.

Brewsmith said:
I think I'm leaning toward the Blonde Doppelbock, but I'd do the Barleywine just as well. It will be more of a change from the 8/8/8 recipe and we could really do up the 10/10/10 with the BW. I'm going to play Switzerland on this one and let you guys hash it out.

Nice pigtails Heidi...

EAC said:
I am in, but have a concern that if we go with the equation of 9 we will be making a BW on the small end of the spectrum. I suppose we could go for a 1.099 OG with 99 IBUs, but maybe this is the 10/10/10 style, which we can always make way ahead of time.

The 9/9/9 may be better lived out as a different style. I still like the blond dopplebock myself. But will brew with the crowd and help with the recipe. Water into Barleywine is a nice starting place but I have some suggested changes if the forum is interested.

Hey EAC, I am wondering what your opinion is on changing up the hop schedule from that 'other' Barleywine recipe to Centennial and Cascade?

I have never made a BW before and you seem to have some experience.

The big Cs make great ABW hops. That American hop flavor goes really well with the higher gravity and the rich malty tones. I do think they can accent the sweetness of the beer and so that should be considered in the recipe, like dropping the mash temp and the fermentation temp, not going over board on the crystal malt, things like that. I would love to use a bunch of Centennials and Cascades in a big ABW, if they can be had at a reasonable cost.

EAC said:
I am in, but have a concern that if we go with the equation of 9 we will be making a BW on the small end of the spectrum. I suppose we could go for a 1.099 OG with 99 IBUs, but maybe this is the 10/10/10 style, which we can always make way ahead of time.

The 9/9/9 may be better lived out as a different style. I still like the blond dopplebock myself. But will brew with the crowd and help with the recipe. Water into Barleywine is a nice starting place but I have some suggested changes if the forum is interested.
I was thinking 1.109 with a 99 IBU.

I started with Barleywine because of it's relative straight forward recipe.
An ale recipe will include more people who don't have lagering capacity.
And of course....9-9-9 Barleywine had a nice ring to it... :D

A few thoughts:

• Seems there are around 15 (ish) who are already verbally "in" for a 9-9-9 Barleywine, just in the first 48 hours.
  • Seems there are also small handful who already have a BW on deck and this would work into their schedule.
  • Sounds like a fair number of those who are in would perhaps fall out if we turned this into a lager.
  • The one year thing from grain to glass, seems to be kind of accepted/recommended for a barley wine....I'm not sure if the same is true (cuz I don't know) about a dopplebock.
  • Seems people have some druthers on their own recipe which would be great, but maybe we offer up a default recipe for those first time BW brewers (like yours truly).
(Pastor...would you be willing to take on the task of coming up with a recipe...be it the "W to B" or another version you prefer?

I'll brew whatever the group/Good Pastor decided on (I'll probably end up doing a couple of beers, I'm really liking the idea of the smoked barleywine do I'll do that for giggles myself).

The only thing I dont like is the stupid long ass wait for the beer to mature. I wish I had a 5 gallon oak barrel to age it in!

y'all are right, a lager would exclude a lot of people, (realisticaly probably me as well, but I probably still would have tried:D ) My oppinion on the barleywine to wait till a future year went along with EAC's sugestion that the OG, while still high, could be done bigger.

I like Biermunchers idea of shooting for a 1.109 gravity, but is it acceptable for that purist numbers brew?:cross: Regardless of what we pick, I think an official recipie for 9-9-9 should be tossed out there.

Other sugestions for 9-9-9 brews in other threads include a tripel (3 x 3 = 9, plus there is a recipie out there by beersmith if I remember right) a miebock or oktoberfest (I know back to lagers) and the orriginal dopplebock thread (back to that old thing as well:cross: )

I still think the 11/11/11 or 12/12/12 beer should be an ABW but I don't mind brewing one for 9/9/09 also. If Brewpastor comes up with a recipe, you can be sure I will be brewing it. His 08.08.08 is great. :D
The only thing about an ABW is it uses alot of hops, and currently the availability of hops varieties varies from location to location. It may be that each beer is different just due to the hops varieties available to the brewer. I know I have some of the C's in my freezer and more growing but I sure others will have difficulty getting the same. With a Dopplebock or the recent RIS the hops variety matter much less.

Craig

CBBaron said:
I still think the 11/11/11 or 12/12/12 beer should be an ABW but I don't mind brewing one for 9/9/09 also. If Brewpastor comes up with a recipe, you can be sure I will be brewing it. His 08.08.08 is great. :D
The only thing about an ABW is it uses alot of hops, and currently the availability of hops varieties varies from location to location. It may be that each beer is different just due to the hops varieties available to the brewer. I know I have some of the C's in my freezer and more growing but I sure others will have difficulty getting the same. With a Dopplebock or the recent RIS the hops variety matter much less.

Craig
ABW with 100 plus IBUs is a large investment in hops, not that it won't be worth it.

I like the rhyme - nine, nine, nine, barleywine

I want to brew a barleywine.

I don't have a friggin' clue what a blonde doppelbock is, and I don't see how such a beast lives. Is that a bleached redhead that you've stripped of all that makes her so red? If so, y'all go nuts. I'm sticking with with redhead.

I'll never brew a sour beer (I said that only so that I will).

I like Brewpastor's recipe, even if he doesn't want to brew it for this (and even if I know the guys that beat him in AHA - cheap shot, but it's almost 2am, and I'm feeling it).

I now owe Brewpastor at least one beer (along with a couple others out there).

I wanna brew a barleywine. Didn't I already say that?

It's almost 2am, and I'm feeling it. Didn't I already say that, too?

Don't ever let a lawyer start posting without maximum character limits.

Tell you what. Y'all decide on whatever style you want. I'll join in and send someone a damned fine barleywine. :)

It's all this board's fault for getting me all excited about brewing again. :D

TL

Where's the bacon?

Mmmmm, bacon..................and I agree, I'm all about the barleywine!!!!

And your post was kind of long.

But that's okay if you're feeling it.

Seriously.......where IS the bacon???

I vote BW. I'll go with whatever though. I was going to brew a BW soon anyway, when something will age for a decade or more its nice to have plenty to make sure that happens.

If the community wishes I will draft an American Barleywine recipe. I would aim for a recipe that once again reflects the nines.

As far as blonde dopples go, they can be fantastic, but it sounds like the lagering issue is a real concern.

deathweed said:
My vote is for the following:

9/9/09 - Dopplebock
10/10/10 - Strong Scotch Ale
11/11/11 - Barleywine
12/12/12 - Belgian Trippel

wouldn't the 12/12/12 be better as maybe a quad?

Brewpastor said:
If the community wishes I will draft an American Barleywine recipe. I would aim for a recipe that once again reflects the nines...
Thank you BrewPastor.

Let's make it official then.
This will be a Barleywine Brew & Swap.

If nobody objects, I will organize.

BrewPastor will craft a default recipe. Variations are fine but should adhere to the spirit of the 999.
The intent is to brew sometime in September (September 1st is Labor Day...FYI) so that the Barleywine is one year old by 9-9-09. As far as when we ship, we have plenty of time to decide those details. My initial thought is that the brewer will hold on to their own beer for at least 6 months to age it to their specifications....bottle and ship for further aging. This is just a thought though.

Standard shipping protocol applies:
You'll ship to three randomly assigned people
You'll receive from three randomly assigned people
You'll ship a minimum of 44 ounces. (Two 22 ouncers, four 12 ouncers or any combination thereof).
As with the RIS swap, at least two of the bottles (regardless of size) should be the 999-Barleywine. You are welcome to also include other creations that the recipient might enjoy sooner. No "crap" beer that you just need to get rid of please.
In the end, we should all end up with at least 6 bottles of Barleywine and likely some additional varieties.​

Please consider carefully:
This is a one-year commitment to a beer swap.
If you're dabbling in brewing and are not 100% convinced that you will see this through, please do not agree to participate.
Please agree only if you are relatively sober at the time...then you can get as druck as you like...
If you've stiffed anyone in a prior swap, you need not apply.
If you've been stiffed in a prior swap, PM me with info and I'll filter the list accordingly​

Participation (as always) is limited to paying members...so pony up and don't miss out.

I might go ahead and create an "official" 999-barleywine swap thread to reduce the noise a bit.

And finally...

PM me if you are definitely in for this swap.

I'd originally suggested a tripel for 9-9-9, but a Barleywine works just fine (and I rhymed without even intending to.) Looking forward to the recipe.

I will post a recipe Monday or Tuesday, depending on my schedule.

I will draw something up and then see what people think. My thought is to make some options so we can have some variations in what we make, but still be working in the same general area. Hops will probably be listed by type, but also IBUs and AA units so other varieties can be utilized with similar results. Yeast the same way. One trick will be the grain and I think I will probable include some LME in the all-grain recipe to help insure everyone gets to the gravity we want without an extra long boil.

I will get working on it as time allows. If you have things you would like me to consider, such as specific grains or sugars, let me know. There has been some talk about smoking grains for example. I don't want to make a crappy, big mac, least common denominator beer, but I do want this to reflect the forum's view.

I'm happy with these turn of events :) Definately was out because of the lagering, but it looks like I'll be brewing a barleywine! girlfriends b-day is september 9 too. everyone, play along:D :D

Brewpastor said:
I will post a recipe Monday or Tuesday, depending on my schedule.

I will draw something up and then see what people think. My thought is to make some options so we can have some variations in what we make, but still be working in the same general area. Hops will probably be listed by type, but also IBUs and AA units so other varieties can be utilized with similar results. Yeast the same way. One trick will be the grain and I think I will probable include some LME in the all-grain recipe to help insure everyone gets to the gravity we want without an extra long boil.

I will get working on it as time allows. If you have things you would like me to consider, such as specific grains or sugars, let me know. There has been some talk about smoking grains for example. I don't want to make a crappy, big mac, least common denominator beer, but I do want this to reflect the forum's view.
Thanks Brewpastor. I'd think that any recipe you'd feel worthy of submitting to a local competition would be perfect, and would serve as abase for those who want to "jazz it up" a bit.

Regardless of what you come up with, I'm sure it will fit the bill and doubt anyone would consider any Barleywine a least-common-denominator beer. :D

I am not doing the 888 because I'm not a stout fan.. I also don't like BW.. Why don't we do something like the 666 was? It was something that had much wider appeal.

Back