What type of crystal malt do you keep at all times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
I am trying to work out my bulk grain order with the local club, and I am trying to figure out what type of crystal to get. I do a few beers during the year with Crystal 60, but more that not I am using 10 and 20.

Can you get the same effect in your beer that calls for say 2 lb of Crystal 20 by using 2/3 less of Crystal 60 and something else? If so, what is the something else?

Thanks,
-J

Is that 2 pounds of crystal in a 5 gal recipe? Yeesh.

Anyway, I keep a healthy amount of 40 on hand, it is middle of the road, and that works for me.

I feel like you can get away with subbing crystals that are adjacent numbers like 20 for 10 or 45 for 60 but it's just not color. Once you get into 60, 80, 120L, you're adding roasty and even burnt raisin so be careful.

I keep 10, 40, 80, and 120 as I feel that they're significantly different in what they do.

WOW! I thought I had invented crystal!! Why don't more commercial brewers use it?

I love the 60L. I added 1 lb of it to my Maerzen recipe, along with a simple decoction and it now rocks incredibly.

True that they are all a little different, but I love that caramel flavor and gorgeous color.

If I was going to keep ONE in stock, though, I'd keep 40L. That's versatile enough, and works in many recipes.

Ideally, you'd have some 10 or 20, some 40, some 60, 80, and 120. As Bobby said, those are different enough to not be interchangeable.

What kinds of beers are you planning on making most? That will really guide your choice.

I keep 10, 40, 60, and 120 on hand at all times. I'll probably add 80 to that list when I restock next.

YooperBrew said:
If I was going to keep ONE in stock, though, I'd keep 40L. That's versatile enough, and works in many recipes.

me too! we have so much in common! :eek:

:D

yeah, i dig the 40L...when i start buying bulk, this will be the one crystal i purchase.

I only keep the Caramel type of Crystal.........

15L, 40L, 80L, 120L, CaraMunich, and Special B. At least 2 lbs at all times, on hand.

Muntons 55 and 150 because they are the only two that I can get that give the flavor profile I like. Ive tried others but they dont taste the same

I think before there were different varieties of crystal, all crystal malt was ~40L.

It really is highly versatile, so I would go for 40L, or perhaps 60L.

Crystal 40L here. Only because it is perfect for my house ale recipe, and it is extremely versatile in any other recipe. I tend to not get into above 60L anyways, so.... Who knows, maybe now that I have more room and am able to brew a little more I might have to get into some different beers from the norm (60L+). Our water here is more suited more for the darker grains, maybe I will give it a try on a IIPA or a barleywine here in the future.

Back