John Adams Mini series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Resident Crazy Uncle
Reaction score
Now I'm no historian but I consider myself reasonably well read and middlin' average in my understanding of history. That being said, I am finding HBO's new mini series about John Adams and the American Revolution to be exceptionally well done.

Paul Giamatti portrays a tormented man who firmly believes in the rule of law and the inalienable rights of men. His John Adams goes reluctantly to the Revolution and, despite his reluctance to leave the Empire, finds himself unable to take any course but that which leads him to support war.

It's compelling. Powerful.

I heartily suggest that each of you, especially those of you who are not American, watch it.

I saw the trailers for it and really wanted to catch it. I'll be sure to add it to the DVR. thanks kornkob

I'm working on the sound for this series, as I type this, and have seen it in it's entirety. (Several times actually!) It's quite good, and it's interesting to see the founding fathers represented as flesh and blood, instead of just portraits on our currency!

While my non-disclosure agreement prevents me from revealing too much about the show, I can say one thing...we do win the war! :cross:
42.gif

BlindLemonLars said:
I'm working on the sound for this series, as I type this, and have seen it in it's entirety. (Several times actually!) It's quite good, and it's interesting to see the founding fathers represented as flesh and blood, instead of just portraits on our currency!

While my non-disclosure agreement prevents me from revealing too much about the show, I can say one thing...we do win the war! :cross:
42.gif

That is cool! What do you actually do with the sound?

I haven't watched the first 2 episodes yet, but they are definitely on the DVR. I actually just ordered HBO for this series. It looks great.

I'm glad it's good. I hope it comes out on DVD. Principle prevents me from paying for HBO & Showtime for the trash they show at other times.

Dude said:
That is cool! What do you actually do with the sound?

Among other things, our shop does the final audio quality control screening for probably 95% of HBO original content. Personally, I check their music and sound effects tracks to make sure they are ready for alternate language dubbing, and correct any deficiencies I find. Once they're dubbed into Spanish, we master the final audio elements, combining both English surround and Spanish stereo audio into one digital bitstream.

We also do most of the syndication and airline recuts for HBO original content, making them "safe" for those distressed by a little nudity or language.

I'm quite proud of my long (fifteen years now) affiliation with HBO. While I don't like everything they air, they are also responsible for creating some of the very finest content ever aired on television. Examples include, The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Larry Sanders Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Extras, The Wire, etc. I'm honored to have had a minor role in bringing all of these shows to the air...I don't have any part in creating them, but I help make sure they make it to the audience intact!

I liked the subtle accuracies that I guess you'd know if you read the book (I didn't).

Mod Edit: Fixed the spoiler for you in white text.

Spoiler: Like Ceaser Rodney showing up at the last minute to cast his vote. He rode from Wilmington, DE to Philly in a thuderstorm on horseback and arrived wet and muddy. Also, the wrap around his head is due to his face cancer (had to look that up on wiki).

BlindLemonLars said:
We also do most of the syndication and airline recuts for HBO original content, making them "safe" for those distressed by a little nudity or language.

I've noticed airline recuts leave out any imagery of crashing aircraft. For example I saw the movie "Dante's Peak" on an airplane, and the scene with the crashing helicopter was absent.

Back on topic, does the series cover the letter writing correspondence that Jefferson and Adams carried out in later years?

I have watched the first three epsiodes and am enjoying the series so far. Tonights was the least favorite so far. I thoughts the episode of him in France and Holland was too vague and did not follow the book to give the viewer a feel for the conflict between him and Franklin enough clarity which is much better done in the book. If anyone likes the series they should read the book after.

The series and the book are of great interest for me as I am a relative of John Adams being descended from his uncles line. The name Adams was in the family until my great grand father Charles Adams. My late mother read the book at the same time I did and she said what impressed her the most was she saw the very same qualities in John Adams that she saw in her grand father being hard work, integrity and honesty. These are not as easily displayed in the series as the book. The other issue missing are the many letters sent between he and Abigail although they did mention the lack of same during his time in France. The many letters between them are still on file in the Adams archives.

I'm glad it's good. I hope it comes out on DVD. Principle prevents me from paying for HBO & Showtime for the trash they show at other times.

HBO often has much better programming than reg cable. Shows like the Wire, Real Sports and miniseries like the above and Band of Brothers is on more often than not.

Hell we almost got Showtime for Dexter alone.

As soon as I seen the trailers for this on HBO a few weeks ago, I knew I wanted to watch this. Some of the camera work is a little rough, but the actual visuals on my 55 inch Sony are just amazing. Giamatti, etc play great parts and it will be a shame if those involved do not win an Emmy/Oscar (whatever it is). It's interesting to see how tormented he was. I agree with whoever said Chapter 3 was the weakest so far. I think I liked Chapter 2 the best so far. How many parts is this supposed to be? 10, 12?

<edit>
Wiki entry says 7 chapters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(miniseries)
</edit>

Latest posts

Back