My chorizo recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Before I forget what I put in there, I guess I ought to actually write down what I did for my chorizo that came out so fantastic. So, here's what I did. The basis of this recipe is cribbed from Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages, which I think is a fantastic book on meat curing and sausage-making that gets more into the theory and practice of the subject than spending a lot of time regurgitating recipes, although there are of course several recipes as well.

For my meat I picked up a ~7.5 lbs package of boneless pork butt at Costco for dirt cheap. I made two 1kg (~4.4 lbs) batches of sausage, and the rest of the pork butt went to other stuff like tonkatsu or saved as sliced pork in 1/4 lbs packages to be used as needed to make other stuff like yakisoba, fried rice, curry, etc.

So onto the chorizo. I used my countertop meat grinder with a 3/8" plate to grind up the 2kg of pork butt (for two different sausage batches), then stuck that into the fridge while I prepared my spices for the split batches.

1kg Pork Butt
18g salt -> 3 tsp
4g pepper -> 2 tsp
4g cayenne pepper -> 2 tsp
2g dried mexican oregano -> 2tsp
9g fresh finely minced garlic, about 2-3 cloves
~2 tsp (didn't measure weight, eyeballed quantity) of ground Aleppo pepper
1-2 tsp of ground Hungarian sweet paprika
50g ice water
50g distilled white vinegar

Mixed it all up thoroughly, and stuck the mixture in the fridge for a while to keep the fat nice and cold while I prepped the stuffer. I stuffed the mixture into hog casings and made relatively short links, maybe 5-6 inches. Due to the way my stuffer works, I ended up with about 1 link's worth of sausage filling left in the stuffer than just wouldn't go into a casing. I ended up just taking that and immediately made eggs & chorizo with it, which turned out to be a great idea. That plus a couple of warm tortillas was a very tasty snack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the way my stuffer works, I ended up with about 1 link's worth of sausage filling left in the stuffer than just wouldn't go into a casing. I ended up just taking that and immediately made eggs & chorizo with it, which turned out to be a great idea. That plus a couple of warm tortillas was a very tasty snack.

I'll give you my mom's old trick: Stick 1 or 2 slices of plain white bread in the suffer when you get to near the end of the run. This will expel the rest of the meat into the casing instead of "wasting" it. I do the same when I grind ham for sandwiches.

MC

Oh, that's a pretty good idea except I don't have plain white bread around very much.
I'll have to think about other things I could use to displace the sausage stuffing.

Back