My first explosion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillygreen

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to an explosion in my ferm chamber.
The lid blew off the Airlock and beer was probably exposed to the air for about 5-6 hrs.
Do you think it got contaminated?
Now my carboy has some pretty nasty look gunk on top of the foam.
I attached some photos......what do you think?
These pics were taken after the explosion.

image-4202200785.jpg

image-3709608057.jpg

With that much fermentation, it's highly unlikely that you got any infection. It would have to work its way through the off gassing and crud being blown out the top which is next to impossible if you ask me. Grats...looks delicious! RDWHAHB!

Very unlikely that you'll have any problems with that vigorous of a fermentation. It'd be hard for anything to get in there and cause an issue.

That is why I start every fermentation with a blow off tube.

I agree that it is unlikely that any infection would take hold with all the off gassing going on.

That is why I start every fermentation with a blow off tube.

I agree that it is unlikely that any infection would take hold with all the off gassing going on.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALWAYS use a blowoff tube. Pez.

Would a few drops of fermcap put in the fermenting vessel have prevented this? I bought a bottle of that stuff, but now thinking I should get a blowoff tube.

I have personally never used the stuff but have read that it can help. Blowoff tube is a cheap insurance if you ask me.

Yeah I always leave a blowoff tube on until the krausen falls back in to the beer. I almost didn't follow that rule on a dunkelweizen I made this weekend and I am glad I did, the fermentation nearly plugged the blowoff tube!

What size blowoff tube should you use? How do you get the tube air tight at the top of the carboy?

The easiest way is probably to get one that fits onto the post inside a 3 piece airlock. There's also this bungs that aren't drilled, but molded.... the hole one them is one a little knob in the middle, either 7/8" or 1" ID tubing will fit nicely over that knob. The latter is what I do, works like a charm.

It took cleaning a few walls, ceilings and fermenting refrigerator before I started using a blow off. Slow learner lol.

Back