First keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkman

Reaction score
Ok guys. i think it's a ball-lock keg, but it must be ancient because there is no pressure release valve on the lid.

photo (1).JPG

Also, the rubber/plastic casing is a little cracked around all the connections. I assume it's mostly there for shock-absorption but I'm taking it as a no-brainer that I will need to replace all the o-rings.

Is this a ball-lock keg? Is it a problem that there isn't a pressure release valve? There is a kind of hook on the lid, but it's not a valve of any kind.

photo (2).JPG

I also picked up this ancient CO2 tank with 'Property of Seven Up" stamped on it. The handle is a little bent up and there isn't a date or inspection sticker on it anywhere. Assuming this thing will still hold gas, which I'm told it will, is it going to be a pain to get it filled up? Will I have to replace the handle or pay to get it certified?

photo (3).JPG

I was hoping to keg a batch next weekend, but I still need a regulator, the connections and all the tubing.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 148
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 153
I'm very new to kegging, but that's definitely ball lock. And I've never actually seen a racetrack keg before, but if I had to describe that one, I'd say the lid looks like a racetrack.

Thanks for the tip xoltri. I never even heard of a racetrack lid. Back to forum searching I guess. Sounds like these were manufactured by Firestone and in fact it is stamped on my keg.

Looks like it might be difficult to get some replacement parts for it. Does anyone have any advice for where to get the nylon o-rings or a replacement lid ring?

Apparently plastic liquid dip tubes are sometimes a problem, but it looks like this one is stainless.

definetly race track ball lock keg try to swap the tank for a full one not fill it. no pressure relief does not matter just use the gas in side to relive pressure a screw driver works well i think any o rings for a keg should work i think the lids are the same size just different shape. keg connection try there

Do a search for McMaster Carr part numbers for the O-rings. The small ones (outside and inside posts) you get 100 for something like $5. The bigger ones cost a little more, but much cheaper than the ones you can get at your LHBS.

My bad, should have said to search HBT, since I sure can't tell my looking at them! Here's a post that lists the numbers. I didn't check those links to make sure they are current, but if they aren't I'm sure there's another post on here with good ones. Hope that's a little more helpful :D.

Back