mash & sparge volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
when calculating volumes, do you count adjuncts in also? In other words, if I am mashing/sparging 15 pounds of grain and 1 pound of rice hulls do I base my volumes on 15 or 16 pounds?

yes on Rice hulls! ended up short. didn't consider .5 lb rice hulls effic. was dead on so I didn't dilute ended up short of 4 gal by a bit to final keg with a nasty spill of almost a gallon. stupid don't ask:eek::drunk:

SHOULD I rehydrate them? just soak them? I am also going to be using torrified wheat - anything else needed to do with this?

SHOULD I rehydrate them? just soak them? I am also going to be using torrified wheat - anything else needed to do with this?

I rehydrate them if I'm a bit low on water, and my MLT will be full. Otherwise, no- you can just add another quart of water into the mash. Torrified wheat can go into the mash with the other grains, no worries!

Back