Liquid Chocolate Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raceskier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing a Young's Double Chocolate Stout clone from the BYO recipe. One of the ingredients called for is liquid chocolate extract. I haven't been able to find much info about it either here or Google. Anyone know where I might look for it?

Thanks.

My only question would be....WHY?

What's wrong with a good standard Porter?
If you like chocolate why not eat a bar with your pint.

I love steak and a pint of bitter but I ain't going to make meat beer!

Sorry. AEC moment.

The person here used 6 oz. bakers dark chocolate in the last 5 min of the boil.

I think that this would taste better than extract.

orfy said:
My only question would be....WHY?

What's wrong with a good standard Porter?
If you like chocolate why not eat a bar with your pint.

I love steak and a pint of bitter but I ain't going to make meat beer!

Sorry. AEC moment.

Isn't the object of Homebrewing to experiment and fine new ways of pushing the envelope?
At least that's what I've been doing for the last 19 years of doing it.
That's not to say that I don't enjoy making and drinking things which are established, but it's nice to have something that is unusual once in a while... My Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Sweet Stout came out rather well, I don't drink a whole lot of it as it is meant to be savored.
I used cocoa powder, cinnamon sticks and raisins and Maker's Mark Whiskey. It's a damned good beer. Tastes like drinking a cappuccino while eating an oatmeal raisin cookie and rings in at 7.8% ABV.

Otis The Drunk said:
Isn't the object of Homebrewing to experiment and fine new ways of pushing the envelope?
At least that's what I've been doing for the last 19 years of doing it.
That's not to say that I don't enjoy making and drinking things which are established, but it's nice to have something that is unusual once in a while... My Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Sweet Stout came out rather well, I don't drink a whole lot of it as it is meant to be savored.
I used cocoa powder, cinnamon sticks and raisins and Maker's Mark Whiskey. It's a damned good beer. Tastes like drinking a cappuccino while eating an oatmeal raisin cookie and rings in at 7.8% ABV.

Now. I know what I like and brew it. I've experiment with beer tast enough with commercials. I don't want to waste 40 pints of brew on something that may not turn out or I may not like.

I'm not saying that is how others should brew, just me.

I'm glad to let others push the envelope on recipies.:mug:

Take a look at this recipe. I used White Star extract and recommend it. It's pricey, but you don't need much and, if stored properly, will last for 3-4 five gallon batches. Bakers chocolate - or any chocolate bar for that matter - has oils in it and will kill head retention.

I bought mine from The Baker's Catalog. It looks like they no longer carry it, but they have something similar for about the same price.

Got Trub? said:
Somewhere I heard Hersheys chocolate powder works well - believe it or not

Jamil recommended Hershey's baking cocoa over the dutch-processed stuff, which he feels is too bitter.

Me, I'm with Orfy; I wanna make beer! I did a batch with chocolate, never again, it's just not my thing.

Here's the thing, you don't REALLY need actual chocolate to impart a chocolate flavor; my buddy brought me some of Lake Placid's Ubu Ale, it's named after a dog and it was immediately apparent that the dog in question was a chocolate lab. As far as I can tell, they use no actual chocolate in the recipe, it's just chocolate malt - but there is definately a strong chocolate aroma and a bit of chocolate taste in the brew.

the_bird said:
...Here's the thing, you don't REALLY need actual chocolate to impart a chocolate flavor...
Ordinarily, I'd agree. Except when it comes to getting the same chocolate flavor you get in a Young's Double Chocolate Stout - a true dessert beer. I'd read that Young's uses actual chocolate nibs. After searching out a few recipes, I came up with mine and it is pretty close. Rogue's Chocolate Stout, while good, is just not the same, IMHO.

the_bird said:
... my buddy brought me some of Lake Placid's Ubu Ale...

Sit Ubu, Sit! Good dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ubu_logo.jpg

Rhoobarb said:
Ordinarily, I'd agree. Except when it comes to getting the same chocolate flavor you get in a Young's Double Chocolate Stout - a true dessert beer. I'd read that Young's uses actual chocolate nibs. After searching out a few recipes, I came up with mine and it is pretty close. Rogue's Chocolate Stout, while good, is just not the same, IMHO.

Yeah, I should have specified - you don't NEED chocolate if you're going for a subtle hint of chocolate. I have no more intentions of brewing dessert beers, so the alternative didn't really register in my head!

EDIT: Better link...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys. I've just been continuing to taste many different commercial beers since I started homebrewing. I'm currently on a stout kick. I did try the Rouge Capuccino Stout, (drinking one at the moment) and just brewed a NB 1554 clone, which by category is probably a Schwarzbier, but comes off like a sweet chocolate stout. I'm going to follow up the extract leads. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Brew what you like!

I make my own extract by mixing vodka and cacao nibs. I use about a cup and a half of vodka to a cup of cacao nibs, let it set at least a week. Pour off the vodka and discard the nibs. Freeze the vodka and then separate the clear liquid from the fat which is on the bottom. I pour off most of the clear liquid and then used a coffee filter on the rest by setting it in the freezer overnight to strain through. Yields about a cup of dark clear vodka.

Now the hard part is figuring out how much to add to a batch.

I like dark chocolate daily after my lunch.
I heard dark chocolate is good for the heart health and keeps the heart healthy by burning the fat and controling the cholesterol level which can be harmful for the heart health.

Use cocoa powder rather than Bakers chocolate. The Bakers chocolate has an emulsifier that will cause the head to dissipate. I made an orange and chocolate porter using 8 ounces.

Google Sweet Baby Jesus clones from Duclaw. One of the threads says they use an extract and lists the company. I can't remember the name.

Back