Left over ingredients, what to make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brybarrett

Reaction score
I have the following ingredients left over and was looking to do a 3 gallon batch of some type of ale, probably IPA.

3lb 2-row
2lb Maris
6 oz crystal 120
8 oz crystal 10
1lb brown malt

.4 oz Centenial .6 oz Crystal
1.5 oz Columbus .6oz Simcoe
.8 oz Chinook .7 oz Columbus
.3 Northern Brewer .8 ozGalena
.6 Warrior

S-04 Yeast

My intial thoughts on a recipe are:
3lb 2-row
2lb Maris
.25 oz crystal 120
.25 oz crystal 10
.25 oz brown malt

.25 oz Warrior (60 min)
.25 oz Chinook (45 min)
.25 oz Columbus (15 min)
.25 oz Centenial (0 min)

.25 oz Simcoe (dry hop)

S-04 Yeast

Mash 158 for 60 minutes
ABV 5.6%
SRM 11
IBU's mid 60's

Seems like it could be drinkable? Any thoughts?

Grain bill looks good. Mashing at 158 and using S-04 is going to give you a big body, semi-attenuated beer. If that's what you're going for that i'd say its ok, i personally like my bitter beers dry.

Thanks Fishin, I do want to get some body, maybe it would be best to drop it a few degrees.

Any comments on my hop selection and schedule?

Mash: I would bring the temp down to 154. You will still get body but not over the top. Have you ever tried Twin Sisters IIPA from Left Hand? I don't like it because it is cloying sweet and big-bodied, yet hoppy. I would attribute this to:

• TONS of crystal malt
  • Medium-High Mash temp
  • low attenuating yeast

Once again, just my preference. I don't think cloying sweet, heavy bodied beers taste well with sharp hop flavor

Hops: If your hitting your IBUs, go with it. I've used warrior for 60 min. and love it. Never used chinook, but i hear it can be harsh if its tossed in at 60, so you're good. All around it looks like a good group of American "C" hops and trust me when i say Simcoe is teh tits anywhere in a beer.

Fishin, i see where you are coming from and I too do not like over sweet beers. Just didn't' think I had enough specialty grains in the mix to produce an overly sweet beer. Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

Back