Difference between OxiClean, PBW, and Straight-A

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmonger

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference between these?

Can any of them be stored, or are they all one-time use solutions? Do they all require the water solution to be warm in order to work? If so is it ok to heat it in a stainless steel brew kettle?

What about relative stregnth? Which is the best at removing debris? Do they all require rinsing immediately after use?

Can anyone explain the difference between these?

Start here with the sticky called "what cleaners and sanitizers are used", https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43688&highlight=Oxyclean

Then if you need more information, use the search function...we've beaten this particular dead horse a lot on here, there's a ton of info on all those products already covered.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

:D

Start here with the sticky called "what cleaners and sanitizers are used", https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43688&highlight=Oxyclean
While there is a good list on that thread, there isn't a comparison between the various cleaners and their pros and cons. It's a legitimate and reasonable question. I usually use PBW but that's because I like Five Star and Charlie Talley. I've used Austin Homebrew's UBC and it worked pretty darn well, too. I'd like to see a straight across, apples to apples comparison of the various commercial cleaning products out there.

In the meantime, here's another good thread about cleaners & sanitizers.

Chad

It's a legitimate and reasonable question.

Chad

And it's a question that gets answered nearly daily, meaning that the answers are already on here (Hell, I probably wrote most of them.) ;)

SInce he hasn't responded, the OP probably already found the answers using search,as I had suggested.. we have compared them on many threads....There's even a thread called Oxyclean vs Pbr, betcha it has all the answers he's looking for.

oxyclean_copy.jpg

(He hadn't asked those questions the original post...he went back and added them AFTER I had answered with my answer...Note the time of the edit and the time of my post I was answering his original question.)

I was able to guess on an answer to most of the questions I've had about various sanitizers and cleaners, but I am still not certain about any of it. I don't feel my questions were ever fully answered by the searches I did (and I was never able to replicate the search results that Revvy posted)

You really should not be so rude to people, especially people who are still learning. Did you miss this thread, by chance?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f22/some-general-comments-warnings-rules-47193/

I just stumbled across it while I was searching other threads, and it made me think of this thread I posted a while back. Your answers really did not make me feel very welcomed here.

It's not that we're being rude (or me), it's just that, which cleaners and which sanitizers to use questions often come up, and are answered in the same forum no less, everyday...and like I said, I've probably written most of them. And that particular day back in August I more than likely had already posted that answer several times, more than likely 5 minutes before you asked it...

As of today there is another thread asking the same question...

It really isn't that difficult to poke around on this forum to find those answers...I use search everyday...often to find my own posts to link to...

I have even written a primer on how to get the most out of the search feature on here...to get the results that I got and posted to show you...(Which by the way I spent nearly 2 hours writing up...why would I do that?)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1048306-post153.html

And, I'll quote from the end of it, after I ran through the tips to using search more effectively.

The thing to me about searching is two fold, and I really hate coming off as a search nazi, BUT

1) There is a huuuge amount of state of the art brewing info on here...info that is even more current than palmer (only becasue it takes 2-3 years to get a book out.) Some of us have spent hours writing stuff up, like blogs or long answers to basic questions, including searching for links like audio and video casts to answer those basic questions...And we want you to know it exists, and we want you to utilize it to be the best damn brewer's you can be.

SO when I say it's been covered before, I'm not saying "hey a$$hat, use the search."

I'm saying "Hey, there's some kick ass info on that very topic, put together from some amazing brewers, and it's free, right here, you don't need to buy a book....all you need to do is click "search" and maybe play with the words a couple times...

2) A lot of the "kick ass brewers" who are here, and were here before I got here have stopped answering the same noob questions over and over. Most of those people get tired of it after a couple months, and just ignore these threads...From what people tell me, for doing it constantly for a year, I'm an anomoly....maybe because of my 'calling" (yes I am a minister for the 10,000th time ) I have an almost pathological need to help people...whether it's in a church or in a brewery.

Which means that the people who might be best able to answer your basic question are NOT going to because they did it 6 months ago, and feel that that's enough. Or they are no longer here...but their info is still here and still valuable...

.....Hope this helps, and I hope you realize that those of us who suggest that you search for an answer not trying to be mean to you, nor are we lazy...we just want you to have the best brewing info that there is to be found on here...and there is plenty of it.

Sorry you took offense...BUT that doesn't change the fact that the info is on here in several places.

My 2 cents - It ticks me off when people don't search for answers before asking. And if I forget to search or am too lazy I expect and accept being dinged and called out for it. Some posters on these boards spend countless hours providing knowledge and I have gone from doing no boil brews in 2008 to a recent all grain batch with just reading posts from helpful folks. I would buy them all a beer but it would bankrupt me! LOL

Thanks

Welcome brewmonger. I use oxyclean and it works well for me. I can't compare it to the others since I've never used them.

My 2 cents - It ticks me off when people don't search for answers before asking. And if I forget to search or am too lazy I expect and accept being dinged and called out for it. Some posters on these boards spend countless hours providing knowledge and I have gone from doing no boil brews in 2008 to a recent all grain batch with just reading posts from helpful folks. I would buy them all a beer but it would bankrupt me! LOL

Thanks

Amen.
Thanks again for all the work Revvy.

Back