Broccoli wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinnerz

Reaction score
Just cooking up a big batch of broccoli for dinner and there are these big chunks if stalk left. Has anyone tried using them for wine or should I give it a go? If not any tips in what to do with them?

Oh man, I looove broccoli... but even I'm not sure about this one! I'm curious though if you try it how it turns out. :)

Should be interesting. I wonder how it will taste.

This idea will naturally repel anyone under 25 from drinking it. (I had to say this, to funny not to). Aka age joke and veggies.

Read up on tomatoe wine!
This has potential, and there is only one way to find out.

Well, broccoli is a member of the brassica family, as is cabbage. If it were me, I'd use the cabbage wine recipe from Jack Keller's site & just use broccoli instead of cabbage.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques59.asp
Good luck, GF.

Well, I LOVE all veggies but the idea of broccoli wine doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me. I hope the OP does it and proves me wrong, but I still don't think it sounds very good. :D

I love carrot wine, beet wine, tomato wine, and many others. I just can't wrap my head around cabbage or broccoli wine, though.

Broccoli is probably my favorite vegetable but just reading the title nearly made me sick to my stomach lol. But hey, why not try it?

I did a corn cob wine not to long ago and it turned out not half bad. I would consider it a decent cheap table wine. The recipe I used looked like:

1 gallon recipe

2lb whole ears of corn
Karo corn syrup to a gravity of 1.072
2 tsp acid blend
1 tea bag of hibiscus tea blend
4 oz raisins
1 vanilla pod
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to 1 gallon
Yeast (lalvin K1v-1116)

First I will chop up corn into smaller pieces and freeze them. Then I will boil the corn for 30 minutes. Let it cool and then cut off the corn while saving the water. I'll save the actual corn for cooking later. Split the cob into some smaller bits and boil again for another 30 min. Next ill transfer the cob and water into the primary and mix in all the ingredients. The vanilla pod will be split, seeds scraped into primary and toss the whole pod in. Once the temp is right ill pitch rehydrated yeast. Let this ferment dry then transfer to secondary. I'll try and clear with bentonite. After clearing And racking complete stabilize and back sweeten to 1.026.

I actually stopped the fermentation early on this batch. I was a bad brewer and did not use my hydrometer. It stopped at 1.024 and I back sweetened to 1.026. I meant for it to be back sweetened to 1.002. But this recipe did really well sweet. Actually I think only half the acid blend would be needed and it could be less sweet but with this much acid the sweet balanced it out. So I have no clue how a broccoli wine would taste but this was a success and you could do something similar.

corn wine is basically whiskey mash lol. I can't imagine a low sugar content vegetable like broccoli making a good wine......

All you nay-sayers be d@mned! I love this idea!

It seems to me that at the very least, you'd have a wonderfully unique cooking wine that you could sell to just about anyone at the local market (of course, you'd probably want to check on the liquor laws before setting up your booth ;))

A mild dose of lemon and tarragon for flavoring could cover up some of the funkiness of the broccoli and add to its depth.

Now, I'm not a man to appoint myself a judge, but just the headline made me cringe. I mean, dayum, of all the things you might have included in winemaking, you came up with broccoli?

Were you out of Brussels sprouts?

I say do it. What's the worst? Horrendous rhino farts? I don't think that I would go pro, and do 100 gallons or anything, but give'r a go for one. If it sucks, let it sit for an eon and retry. Quench your sinks' thirst if need be.

I want to see some awesomely-green wine!

It seems that if someone joins the board just to ask about an off-the-wall ingredient (I mean that in the nicest way!), they disappear. The guy with the durian cider was never heard from again. I am wondering if this fella falls victim as well. Maybe it would be a sign from the fermenting gods that some are not meant to ferment... Forbidden fermentation.

If I clear up a fermenter and no one has had the balls to give this a shot I am game. I have done all kinds of weired ferments like cucumber, corn, marshmallow, tobasco... My next small(ish) batch to bottle is a JAOM that is taking forever to stop fermenting. We will see.

Just cooking up a big batch of broccoli for dinner and there are these big chunks if stalk left. Has anyone tried using them for wine or should I give it a go? If not any tips in what to do with them?
[Moderator's Edit: Took poster's comments outside the quoted text]

Blanch, freeze, make broccoli cheese soup at a later date.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think (something I try not to do) that you would have to fight against broccoli's natural bitterness, and it might make a better beer than wine. Most fruits and veggies used to make wine either have some sugar or starches that easily convert, but I don't think (ever) that broccoli has a lot of ether. You would end up making a basic wash (water, sugar, and yeast) and flavoring it with broccoli. With that, you would end up having to fight against broccoli's natural bitterness. As a newbie to all this, I could be just talking out my backside.

I once thought about making a Popeye. A spinach wine with spinach (of course), kale, and either beet greens or mustard greens, but I have a lot to learn before I'm willing to try anything like that.

I tried one from squash. I screwed it up but good. Cook it for about 20 minutes. Put it in a fine mesh bag. Put the juice and veg in your bucket. Give 7-10 days and pull the veg. Check it from day 4 just incase it gets too strong.
This will need to age. I would guess at least 6 months. Might need up to 2 years.
Basic recipe HERE

You might be surprised by the vegetables and "fruits" that were used in the past to make country wines. I have one of CJJ Berry's books in which he includes a recipe for cabbage wine and I have another book written by Peggy Hutchinson and she includes wines from celery, carnation flowers, yarrow and from wheat (not a beer but a wine using the wheat berries to flavor the wine) . Oh ... and her book includes several prune wine recipes - one that includes a slice of toast (presumably as nutrient for the yeast)

Back