anyone try the dryhoppers for corney kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here, here. I am also looking for input. I was told that dry hopping for more than 2 weeks causes a "grassy" taste in brews.

how long is too long to dry hop. i have heard ii could leave it in the corny as i serve and should be fine. the longest i have left so far is 1 month and did not have anything but the hop flavor.

I just use a fine mesh bag with a shot glass in it to weight it down and that works fine. As far as contact time with the hops I have left them in the keg for the life of the keg before and it was fine but I try to drink really hoppy beers fast.

Yes I keg hop all the time, I use those simple stainless screen tea "balls" that come apart. I find that you need to give a few days at least, like a week, then drink away. My kegs never last that long, so I'd say the longest is six weeks, and the flavor is fine. Right when you get to the bottom of the keg, you can tell when it's almost gone because the hops flavor gets more intense, and you do get a little grainy or grassy flavor out of it, but we're talking the last 2-3 pints before it kicks.

Either from chad or stainless? Howd they work?

I pre-ordered mine from Chad and just got the shipping notice yesterday. It will be a month or so before I've gotten a chance to use it but if it works as well as the hop basket I bought from him I'll be very happy.

I've also just ordered one (from Stainless) and will report back with my findings.

I don't go through kegs as fast as some, but I also don't intend on leaving the hops in the keg until it's empty. My intention is to rack a keg after fermentation (and a cold crash) are complete, and only leave the hops on the beer for 1-2 weeks depending on the beer style. I'm then going to release air pressure, remove the hops/strainer (the pictures of the one from Stainless look like they have a little hook on the lid so I can remove it easily) slowly to prevent oxidation, then hook the CO2 back up and I'm ready to go.

Basically I'm going to dry hop later (during carbonation) and off the yeast, with the goal being to avoid having to rack to secondary at all.

Back