Savimg a yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyking95

Reaction score
I prepared a yeast starter with the intention of brewing today. Due to a sudden work emergency I have to postpone brewing today. The next opportunity will be next week. I'm putting alum foil over the flask and securing it and then putting it in the frig. Will that be ok, and if so when I do go to use the yeast will I need to do anything to the starter?

Thanks for any advice.

You will get differing opinions on this. However, the way I look at it, I often pitch on a cake from a month long primary, and how is a starter any different? I have had starters over a week old that I pitched with no problem at all, so I say go for it.

I had the same thing happen to me last week. I had stepped up my starter twice then I could not use it on my brew day. I just put it in the fridge then 24 hours before I needed it I pulled it out, decanted and added some fresh wort to it. Basically it was stepped up 3 times. Yeah it was a big starter but I do not think it will hurt anything.

12 hours after pitching fermentation was definitely going strong.

If the starter had an airlock, it would keep just like a regular fermented beer. Without an airlock, it can potentially get contaminated. Seal it and place in fridge (cold temperatures slow everything down, including any contaminants), and use as normal when ready.

After extensive storage in the fridge (a couple of weeks) I'd suggest refreshing the starter.

Back