Running a sub panel with a full breaker box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMichels

Reaction score
I have 100 amp service in my new home. I want to run a subpanel to an extra room in the basement and make an all electric brew set up. I'm not too sure how to accomplish this with the full breaker box. Any suggestions? I think i'd like to go with 60a or 100a subpanel. I'm thinking 60a would cut it for a 5500w + 4500w and a couple of pumps + other small things.

What say you?

I'm in the same boat. I want 240V service in my garage and I only have 100 amp service now. I don't think I'll be able to run my central AC and supply an electric brewery at the same time. I verified with the power company the underground line to my home will support 200 amp service. To install a new load center would require disconnect of old load center and pray all the conduit exiting would match up to knockouts on new load center. No matter what, power off in the house while it's updated and my lovely bride will not be happy.

I think this a job for electrician to cover my butt with insurance company coverage.

I would be pushing it extremely close with 100 amp service, I know that for sure. Water heater/central air/pool motor + brewery. Evanmars may be right. Which means....all the money i have saved for me electric brew rig would go to getting the service upgraded. I could go gas, but damn it gets cold in the winter here.

acefaser - I guess you could put a 200a panel in on 100a service, but if i go that far, might as well just upgrade my service as well.

Sdurge - I'm going to try to measure my total load tonight....If I can swing it with a few of my major appliances running with the proposed brewery load, I may try this route as it would be the easiest.

Latest posts

Back