New Brewer looking for advice tips ect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbrewer1

Reaction score
Well this is my first post guys so bear with me here.
many years ago, when i was a lot younger, i thoought about getting into brewing beer and , ewll, discarded the notion as too hard. Now, for various reasons, i am back and serious about trying it. after a LOT of research on the web, i decided to try not only brewing but malting my own grain.
I had to order 5lbs of organic barley seed from amazon( none of the local feed stores carry it and so far none are willing to order it either) soi i do not know if it is 6-row or 2-row barley. at this moment i have all 5lbs of it in pans on the kitchen table, and from what i can tell it is sprouting wonderously, only been there about 24hrs and already rootlest are about 1/2 inch long and seems to be damn near 100% of them doing this. I am building a kiln this aftermnoon with my father in law out of OSB, a computer fan and a chick light used to keep chicks warm. from what i can tell, i should be able to get about 2.5 to 3 gallons of brew out of this grain. Does that sound about right to you guys? i am still having a bit of trouble determining how much water to sparge with, any help there would be most appreciated. I do not plan on making any crystal grain out of this:just going to brew with the pale malt i end up with after kilning. i also ordered 2 oz of glacier pellet hops, 5.6%AA and 8.7%BA. I am also still kind of in the dark about how much of this to use to make a VERY mild bitter taste in the brew ( my wife wants a small amount done with no hops, so am only going to hop abouy 75% of the wort in the boil. i know i am starting off the hard way, going all grain instead of extract first, but i like the idea of the challenge, not to mention it is actually cheaper to order the grain than get the extract(which is not available anywhere in my area) any suggestions and help for this utter noob would be appreciated. oh yeah, i am wondering since i am using muntons dry ale yeast, what kind of ale would this be considered?

Kudo's on jumping right in there and grabbing the bull by the horns. Most impressive malting your own grains. Let me know how that turns out.

A good rule of thumb is 1-1 1/4 of water per pound of grain for mashing and 1/2 quart of water per pound for sparging.

As far as I can see it sound good. I'd call it an IPA but not as hoppy. For 3 gallons of wort and 5.6%AA, I'd say no more than 3/4 oz for 60 mins in boil for bittering. As far as no hops, your wife might not like the results. Malt is so sweet that you need a little bittering to balance out the flavor. It also depends on the type of hops. Not all Hop strains are the same. Each offer there own flavor.

I find that, when making new recipes, a computer program, such as Beer Smith, works great. I highly recommend it.

well i have the grains drying in oven. the kiln idea that my father in law and i had didn't pan out as well as i'd hoped...didn't really wxpect the grains to germinate that fast. luckily the oven light is keeping it at about 110 degrees F so i should be ok...the temp is a little low i knwo.hopefully i will have malted grains by about 9pm tomorrow night

well tomorrow is the big day. finally got the grain all dry and cracked. wish me luck guys this is my very first brew

I'd highly recommend hopping the works. Hops added early in the boil add bitterness which balances the sweetness of the malt while hops added later add flavour and hops at the end of the boil or later add more aroma. If your wife likes beer at all, the styles she drinks will almost certainly contain at least the bittering hops. Hops also have antibacterial properties which prevent spoilage.

All this being said, there are other options. If hops are indeed out for your wife, check out the gruit beer style.

i am gonig to hop the vast majority of the brew. only going to do a small protion with no hops so she can see what it is like. this is my first brew ever so i am not going to get my hopes up that its very good hops or no hops.

well i went ahead and hopped the whole thing. my wife just told me not to worry about doing an unhopped portion since she has so much stuff going on atm. right now just waiting for the 15 mins till end of boil mark to add last 1/4 oz of hops. i got a gravity reading of 1.020 and i added 1lb of unsulphered molasses to up the gravity and ABV. hope this wasn't a bad move what do y'all think?

I think with a pound of molasses, especially in three gallons, you're going to blow away any subtleties you had from the hops or your hand-malted grains. Molasses has a very strong flavor, more suitable for a stout, and even in a five gallon batch a pound would still have a very profound character. Usually it is best to use something light and fairly neutral to bump up the OG and ABV, like light DME or corn sugar. I am interested in knowing how this turns out!

so am i Ultima. honestly, i think it will proabably be an improvement since i didn't use any specaility grains. The color of the wort went from a real pale gold to a dark, almost coffee look. and hey it's only my first batch, i will be proud just to have made alcohol in my kitchen. :) and it gave me a boost to 1.031 gravity

Too late to worry about it now. Who knows, it could be the best beer you ever had.

My favorite gravity booster is wild flower or clover honey. It gives a dry crisp taste to the beer without adding color or much flavor (if used in moderation).

I tend to use molasses in stouts and porters where the molasses adds a great toffee flavor and lends to the body of the beer.

Back