Did i mess up???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
Brewed only my second batch yesterday. Couple things went wrong. First my timer didnt work so I had to time based on my watch. Im guessing the boil was over 60 minutes by a couple minutes, maybe 3 or four, how bad is this? also when I was cooling the wort I got a little impatient. I transfered the wort to the fermenting bucket and it wasn't quite cool enough so while it sat in the bucket i had to put it in the ice bath to cool it down some more. Will that negativeley effect the beer? Also not sure if i aerated correctly, how exactly should i be aerating? Thanks

That's all fine.

As for aeration, how did you transfer to the bucket? If you just pour it in there from the pot, the splashing will be enough to aerate.

it splashed, and actually caused a lot of foam to form. and i tilted the bucket back and forth a little(northern brewer dvd for the basic kit told me to do that). Also after i added the yeast should i stir it around a little? thanks

Going over time by a few minutes isn't going to hurt anything. No problem with the ice bath either. I use an ice bath frequently, but I leave the wort in the kettle while it cools in the bath then transfer it once it's at temp. As long as everything that touched the wort while cooling was sanitized, your ok.

We often boil intentionally for 90 minutes or 5 hours. So a few minutes over your 60 doesn't really do anything bad.

Something to realize, is that it is really hard to mess this up. There's more than 1 way to do something in brewing, and most of the time when you think you've screwed something up, you'll find hundreds of brewers who do it the same way and call it "their process."

:mug:

1.) Boil time over by a few minutes won't ruin your beer. No biggie.

2.) Patience is key, I sanitize a thermometer probe & cool to 73F. Assuming you didn't pitch too hot (over 100F) your yeast should go right to work. Keep an eye on the airlock, you should see action in 6-18hrs.

3.) I aerate in the bucket just shaking the hell out of it for a minute or two (normal gravity beers) with the lid on, then pitch the yeast on top of the aerated wort. I usually dip my thumb in some sanitizer & cover the airlock hole with it.

Note: I've had my thermometer break while chilling my wort down to pitching temperature. After awhile though, you know that after 11-12 minutes or so, the wort is in that approximate 70-80 degree F range. You'll find that stuff out as you do more batches.

thanks for all the replies. I feel much better now haha. I was trying to cool it down to 70 degrees but i got inpatient when it was at 75. Also i did not sanatize my thermoneter, as well as the tool i was using to stir with, is this bad? thanks again for the replies/

also my airlock has yet to start bubbling and its been 15 hours. I understand that bubbling does not always happen but should i be worried? I checked for any air leaks and there are none.

also my airlock has yet to start bubbling and its been 15 hours. I understand that bubbling does not always happen but should i be worried? I checked for any air leaks and there are none.

If you understand that airlock bubbling doesn't always happen, then why are you worried????

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.
It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

Now stop worrying over everything.......

I want you to also read this, Revvy's Advice to new brewers.

If you understand that airlock bubbling doesn't always happen, then why are you worried????

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.
It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

Now stop worrying over everything.......

I want you to also read this, Revvy's Advice to new brewers.

lol my bad, should of searched the forum first. I guess your right, nothing I can do bout it now haha

Back