Since I am going to keg can I brew another batch in the Bottling Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
My kit came with two 6 gallon buckets and one lid, one has the spickot opening for bottling from. But since I am kegging can I just buy another lid and use it to brew another batch in? Any problems with their being a spickot on the bottom? Besides being careful not to open it?

You can do it but be careful about leaks. My bucket leaks a bit out of the plastic fitting for the spigot. Not a huge deal for bottling since wort only sits there for 30 minutes or so but it would be a huge deal for a 3-4 week fermentation.

As far as a second lid goes. I get icing buckets from a local bakery (walmart) for $1. Some of the lids fit the brew buckets. Some folks will say you might get an infection from the spigot. I have fermented in the bottling bucket before. I always remove the spigot from the bucket, disassemble it completely & soak it in starsan, before & after the fermentation. So far so good....

Hmmmm yeah a leak would suck balls. I will see how much another lid and bucket is and if it's not uber expensive I will get another bucket too just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want to save a few bucks and then lose a whole batch :(

You can buy them with a spigot, so yeah for sure you can use it is what I'd say.

If you're worried it might leak, then fill it with water, fit the lid, and apply some air pressure to the grommet hole or something and watch for leaks. It probably wont unless you need a new gasket.

Yeah I've done it in a pinch. I had filled it before I realized that I had no lid. Sanitized aluminum foil did the trick just as well. Just be sure to really clean the spigot before and after.

i do it all the time. The kit i bought came with 2 buckets and they both had spigots on them. I actually kind of like it because i don't have to mess with racking, i just use the spigot to transfer. The leak is a good point though. The first time i put the spigot on i tested it with water and had a leak, so its always good to test your seal before you put the wort in it.

The kit I bought came with they call a combo bucket.

Spigot is about 2 inches above the bottom. Ferment in it transfer to carboy then bottle out of it.

Knock On Wood-------------- Not once have I ever had a leak.

Williams brewing (www.williamsbrewing.com) is selling an interesting lid for a fermenting bucket that should fit your bottling bucket. It's 2 pieces--the first piece is a thin ring that permanently snaps on to your bucket, the second is a lid that screws onto the thing ring. So now your fermenter lid screws off instead of you having to fight with it to pop it off. Interesting.....

Bucket plus lid < $20. If you do buy a new bucket buy one of the wine buckets they are 7.9gallons. It makes it easy to brew a 6g batch and/or limit blowoffs.

I had the same thing happen. Went down to my storage unit and had about half of a 5 gallon batch on the ground of a highly anticipated Wheat on the ground with Fruit Flies. Dumped it. I will only use solid buckets from now on. Only b/c there is no telling the garbage lies I could of have come up while drunk on that batch! :)

~Diz

Back