How to use Maltodextrin??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alehouserock

Reaction score
I searched the forum for this and found most

I am going to be using this for the first time next weekend. Making a barley wine.

I know nothing about the stuff. I grabbed an lb from my LHBS(Forgot to ask about use when another question came up), I am 5 gallon extra batching.

I have seen poster say about 6-8 ounces is right. Are my levels going to vary with gravity?
Do the level vary depending how "meaty" you want your beer to feel?

Is there an ideal time to add it?

When I use maltodextrin in porters/stouts I add it with around 15min left in the boil. You could probably add it earlier or later in the boil with no ill effects. Not sure why you want to add it to your barleywine at all though. They have a knack for being fairly thick without any help from the brewer.

When I use maltodextrin in porters/stouts I add it with around 15min left in the boil. You could probably add it earlier or later in the boil with no ill effects. Not sure why you want to add it to your barleywine at all though. They have a knack for being fairly thick without any help from the brewer.

I haven't made a barleywine yet, but even my Belgian Triple, which ended up being 9.2% was a little "thin".

How much do you use? About 6 oz?

I think I've always added 4 oz for a five gallon batch. For some reason 1/4 of a pound is sticking in my head. Unfortunately I don't have notes with me. I KNOW it wasn't more than 1/2 a pound.
Thanks

4oz=1/4 pound so your memory is better than you give yourself credit for.

4oz in the last 10-15mins is what I've always done, but I wouldn't for a Barleywine. A Belgian Triple is a Big DRY beer which will end up tasting a little thin, an American Barleywine will be nice and malty with some residual sweetness so you probably won't need the Maltodextrine.

4oz in the last 10-15mins is what I've always done, but I wouldn't for a Barleywine. A Belgian Triple is a Big DRY beer which will end up tasting a little thin, an American Barleywine will be nice and malty with some residual sweetness so you probably won't need the Maltodextrine.

Thanks! :)

Now a question just so I learn.

What about my Milk stout and Patersbier I have just about ready to bottle?

I am assuming no on the Milk Stout because of the lactose right?

Depending on the recipe, I probably wouldn't on the Milk Stout. It'll be thick and creamy without it unless the recipe calls for it. The Patersbier shouldn't have it either if you want it to be traditional, most Belgians are dry beers.

As an example where I just recently used some, I made the CYBI Stone Levitation Clone. I love that beer but it's just a little too thin for me, so I made the recipe as directed but I added the Maltodextrine in the last 10 mins of the boil. My hope is that the beer tastes the same, but has a little more body than the original. I'll see in 3-4 weeks!

Latest posts

Back