What is growing on my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyCow9

Reaction score
Hey guys. I made a saison 6 or 8 months ago. I made too much and put a gallon in a jug with a little bit of solution in the airlock. I intentionally let the airlock dry out to let the wild in. In an effort to try something fun, I threw in some blackberries on the beer about a month ago. I covered the top with cheesecloth and let the air do the rest. I have a culture growing on top that I am not sure of what it would be. My wife does kefir and combucha cultures for drinks, this doesn't look like those, and it doesn't look like mold. Looks likes a flaky krausen. The original yeast formed small leaf looking colloids like in this culture too... but the krausen was still normal. This was a 9% alcohol saison before the fruit.

What do you guys think?

Picture on my homebrew club website

Also, do i need to be a paid member to upload photos to this site?

Whatever it is it's f'ing HUGE :drunk:

Kinda looks like pedio, or maybe just some random beer loving yeast.

What does it taste like? I bet funky and good! :ban:

Probably pediococcus. If that is the case there will be diacetyl and it will have a butter smell... you will want to pitch a commercial brett strain to clean up the diacetyl from the pedio. After 12-18 months it will be incredibly tasty I bet.

I haven't tasted it yet. I had intended to get a little flavor in the Saison base beer by adding the wild and the fruit aspects. But I thought it would be a slight bubbling and I would just let it go to taste. It is still Krausen heavy. Now i moved it out of my brewery and into the house with all of my wifes kambuchu and kefir and other crazy food yeasts. I will likely taste it as soon as the pellicle subsides a wee bit.

Back