Moldy Oldies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacharomyces

Reaction score
I use a chest freezer with a temp controller as a fermentation chamber. Lately I've been getting mold due to the moister that accumulates in there. I was thinking about throwing a bucket of damp-rid in there. Anyone else have this problem and come up with a better way?

-Zach

I was using damp rid too. All the sudden I seem to be gettin more condensation in there. I think it's because I moved my fans around. So, I think air circulation is something else to consider...

Fans eh? I was thinking about mounting one of the larger CPU fans, like the ones people use for stirplates inside one of the corners and wiring it to the temp controller. The only problem that I foresee is that the fan will only be running while the freezer is running and I'm not sure that will be enough. How does anyone else rig theres? Blowing constantly?

Have you thought about dealing with the mold through chemical means rather than trying to eliminate moisture? Spray the inside surfaces with a diluted bleach solution every week or two, that should keep the inside of the freezer pretty well sanitized. If you use desiccant you're just going to have to keep swapping it out as it absorbs moisture, anyway. Bleach seems like a much cheaper solution.

Back