Amber vs. Light Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
What is the difference between amber vs. light malt extract? Is is color? Is there crystal malt in the Amber extract? I picked up somewhere that it's better to start with a pale extract and just add specialty grains. Thanks for your help.

Amber malt is basically a light extract plus the specialty grains to make an amber ale. Unless the manufacturer states the exact composition, you won't know exactly what you are working with. I've made some good brews using specialty extracts, but rarely use them any more.

I would guess that the amber extract contains some specialty grain for color and flavor, most likely crystal malt. Light extract plus your own specialty grains gives you the advantage or knowing exactly what goes into your wort.

Nice beer can be made either way, IMO. It is popular to prefer light extract plus specialties, no big deal, try it both ways for practice.

Got it, thanks. I'm going to be brewing an Amber for my third batch and I think I'll stick with the light extract and add the specialty grains from there.

Latest posts

Back