MM3-2.0 question as the manufacture Fred has not answerd me fully.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBeemer

Reaction score
I already tried to get an answer from Fred the manufacture of the Monster Mill MM3-2.0 without any luck. I asked Fred how many pounds a minute the 3roller mill will crush and at what RPM the mills input shaft is turning for the given amount in pounds of grain per minute. His reply "more than 10 pounds a minute". That was only what he replied in his answer. What good is this kind of answer without knowing the RPM's the mills input shaft and roller were turning to get this answer of "more than 10 pounds per minute"? I wanted to know the mills RPM's so that I can gear this new mill to the amount of pounds per minute I would like it to crush and adjust the RPM's of the input shaft to a figure in pounds a minute that I would like to crush and the mills RPM's for the minimum of flour produced. Let me decide on the final Mills RPM's as this is my mill. Am I asking a question that is too complicated that even the manufacture of this mill can only answer by "more than 10 pounds a minute"? What is so difficult about not answering a simple question about what RMM's were used to produce this "over 10 pounds a minute reply"?
It does not have to be down to the exact ounce just a number I can use to start with.
I hate these beating around the bush reply answers especially coming from the manufacture of a product like the Monster Mill with their $229 list price before adding $17 shipping for a $246 investment of my green.

I know I must not be the only one that has ever purchased the new MM3-2.0 three roller mill with 2" those diameter rollers that are 6" long.

This delays me on ordering gears for this chain drive which totally screws me up when a simple question has not been answered, only half of the question.

Questions; Has anyone else on this forum purchased this mill and how many pounds a minute is it crushing on average and how many RPM's are you running the MM3-2.0 so that I can get the proper gearing to my liking for my mill?
Thanks in advance. Maybe the "more than 10 pounds a minute" were a direct drive off a 1750 rpm motor with the MM3-2.0 bushings life of only five minutes to reach this number? I'm just a little disappointed as Fred was always quick on the email replies before the purchase and now since he has cashed in the credit card maybe i'm not important anymore? I would hope to shout this is not how Fred runs his business as up to this time and purchase he was there with answers even up to 9 PM on weekdays. Fred you got your ears and confuser turned on to this HBT forum?
Thanks in advance I just had to rant and get this out for others planning on building and gearing their Monster Mills to the proper RPM's that they want to run their mills at without making excess flour. What speed I may run at will be different than you would run your mill but then this is my mill and built to please myself. End of rant just a little bent out of shape at the moment.
Thanks all who have followed this book here. Carl....

I think the answer you are looking for is...

...more than 10 pounds a minute.

I don't have your mill:D
My mill gives me 1.5 kg/m (3.3 lb) at 94 RPM, 6" long rollers, ≈1-1/2" DIA rollers and gap is .035".

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I have a MM-2 that I run at about 190 and it puts out around 6lbs per min. With the bigger rollers and having a wider gap on the first set I assume you could run it up towards 250 rpm safely.

John Beere has the same mill you do, you could pm him for specifics. But in his build thread he said he runs around 200 rpm and was doing over 10lbs per min. Check this thread, he even has a video of it:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-milling-station-73570/

I don't have your mill:D
My mill gives me 1.5 kg/m (3.3 lb) at 94 RPM, 6" long rollers, ≈1-1/2" DIA rollers and gap is .035".

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Well Claudius; your answer is the only one, this also makes it the best reply so far including any non answer from Fred the Monster Mill manufacture himself.

With your 1.5" diameter vs 2" on the MM3-2.0 this is a circumference of 4.712" for the 1.5" roller vs 6.283" on the 2" MM3-2.0 mill or 1.333 times more circumference on the MM3-2.0 mill. I plan on gearing up this Baldor gearmotor to 89.441 rpm's. This vs your mill that is turning at 94 rpm's makes my mill
turn at .9515 of your 1.5" mill. Both mills are equal with a roller length of 6" long. If i'm correct and take my mill at .9515 of your mills rpm's times the larger circumference of the 2" roller of 1.333. This comes to 1.2686 times longer the circumference. Take this inceased circumference length times the speed difference between our mills speed with your mills 3.3 pounds per minute I come up with 4.1865 pounds per minute at my mills 89 RPM roller speed. The third roller vs two roller may reduce the mills total volume but this would make the lower roller starve and go empty which I believe should not be a factor in this grain volume flow. So take the 4.18 pounds of crushed grain per minute and call it 4.00 pounds a minute would be a rather close guess in grain crush rate. I can live with these numbers and still keep my mills rollers at 89 RPM's with a 28 to 9 tooth gearing to the jackshaft. With this close math the factory MM3-2.0 must be turning 222.5 RPM's just to reach the 10 pounds a minute number that Fred replied to me with. Fred said over 10 pounds a minute so he must be turning the MM3-2.0 above the 222.5 RPM's or something around 230 RPM's for 10.33 pounds a minute or 240 RPM's for 10.786 pounds a minute. I do not like flour in my milled grain, well the wifes cake mix can have the flour not my grain, the brew day is long enough to allow for some slow grain crushing to fit in. This is just my opinions and i'll stay with the slow RPM's as I had planned from the beginning long before I ordered this new mill. This proves all the more that the 89 RPM's that I was planning from the first place was a good RPM to run the new MM3-2.0. I can live with 4.18 pounds a minute of crushed grain or even 4.00 pounds a minute with a little roller slippage. I bet I am rather close with these numbers now. At 54 pounds of grain crush this will take some time for a large Russian Imperial Stout brewing session but will net me my design of 15 gallons net in the corny's after the fermentation process. This will be my next completely new brewing system that I have been planning on paper as my next brewing project I had planned. With 13.5 to 14 minutes of grain crushing time this being the biggest grain bill I would ever crush with a lot shorter times with the smaller grain bills and different biers I will be happy with this grain mills design.

With the Monster Mills that have a belt drive turning the mills at 180 to 200 RPM's by a 1/2 HP motor I have read about and this Monster Mill powered by 1/3 HP at only 89 RPM's I will still have from 4 to 4.49 times more HP and torque at the Mill than these higher RPM and HP powered mills. Going from 1/2 to 1/3 hp is very little difference in power, the 89 rpms vs 180 to 200 rpms is a vast difference greatly lowering the hp and torque at the mills inpit shaft. I bet stalling it will not be a starting problem after the hopper has been topped off before turning on the mills motor. I will not be having a starting problem. This mill will also have a on / off motor switch plus a forward and reverse direction switch also.

I'm jazzed Claudius, thanks as you have answered me more than the mills manufacture has himself. I would have a Absidian Stout now i'm so happy with your numbers but now my evenings are into heavy post spinal surgery pain meds now. My lifting limits are at a maximum of a one gallon water jug without bending the spine at all to pickup or lift for the next two months. Surgeons orders from yesterdays post surgery followup or else I will split two discs then it will be wheelchair time at the least. I do not want to go there or undue what he has done to my back. Again thanks boss your were again a great help to me with another answer, hell i'll keep you around a while longer. Just joking Claudius you know me.
Take care. LCC (Left Coast Carl).
Carl............

your calculations make some sense until you look at airbalancer getting 14 lbs/minute at 175rpm.

I have your mill. It runs approx. 175 rpm grinding 14 Lbs in 1 min and 6 seconds.

Does that help?

Untitled Document

Cheers
Mike

Mike; yes it does and thanks for posting.
I sure like your hopper it's great looking and simple, how many
pounds of grain will it hold in one filling?
Can you PM me the dimensions of that hopper, it fits my tastes a must have
design with its looks, needs and function.
I believe my email address is available thru my PM. Thanks.
That looks like a fully sealed Industrial motor you have fo your mill.

The gut numbers I started with I will still use keeping
the mill at a lazy 89 RPM's with a short jackshaft across the gearbox
for the 28 to 9 ratio rpm increase plus in a small compact package.
At the opposite end for the 1/2" jackshaft a LoveJoy coupling mated to
the mills input shaft. Direct drive to the bushings without
any side loading forces on those small bushings. From my first look at a MM
I had plans to build a drive system without a large pulley being in the way
besides the bushings side loading was out of my intended design from the
very beginning. Now if the Monster Mills end plates had a bore with a counter bore
to hold a flanged ball beaing instead of oillite bushing this would be no problem with using
a belt drive speed reduction and bearing wear vs bushings plus a lot longer mill running life
ball bearings vs bushings. Even the factory set top roller clearance would not change running
with ball bearings vs bushings as they slowing wearing away because of the grains side force with
dust and dirt getting into the bushings and the shafts load bearing surface area. I'm talking of the
use of double sealed not just shielded ball bearings here.

Everyone I know in CT and Virgina are still in rain for a solid week.

Back