La Petite Orange NB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I brewed this kit, and the OG is supposed to be 1.052. Isn't that what is showing?

image-4216163775.jpg

I'm thinking about brewing this for spring. how did it turn out? would you recommend it?

I enjoyed the brew. It was probably one of the best I have brewed so far, and will probably make it again.

i have it sitting in secondary, set to bottle next weekend. it has a thin white layer of something on top of it and when i tasted the sample from a gravity test, it was disgusting. did you experience the same?

I'd call that a 1.054, did you zero against the water you are using for brewing? That could account for the extra .002

I'm have 3 batches of this sitting for my wedding. They were made 18 days ago.

My efficiency increased with each batch: 1.050, 1.051, 1.052

What was your final?

I just racked one into secondary and the sample read 1.008.

i have it sitting in secondary, set to bottle next weekend. it has a thin white layer of something on top of it and when i tasted the sample from a gravity test, it was disgusting. did you experience the same?

Mine does not have this and my sample tastes pretty good, just green at this point.

Anyone know what category this beer is? Is it a dubbel or a belgian specialty

NB calls it an "almost" dubbel save for the darker color. It doesn't meet bjcp criteria for the category though

Yeah I read that too. The orange and no dark grains are what I think makes it special vs dubbel but I don't know?

For those of you who have made this recently, which yeast did you and did you add the orange zest or did you used dried peel, or none at all?

SWMBO asked for this as her next brew. I pulled the all grain recipe from NB website and wanted to get any feed back on this one.

Thanks!

I used the Wyeast Neobrit (used a 1.5L starter) and I added the fresh zest of 2 oranges plus an ounce of coriander (crushed).

I plan on doing this again soon with some tweaks for the summer:

Zest twice for 7-10 days each for more orange and to eliminate haze
1-2lbs honey for a little more punch or up the grain/malt just a bit

Curious, did you end up with an ABV of about 6.1% with this beer? That's what NB lists it as, but was running the recipe through TastyBrew.com and the math doesn't seem to jive. At 75-percent brewhouse efficiency, I come up with a projected OG of 1.050, and an FG of 1.013, making this beer about 4.8% ABV.

I am planning to brew tomorrow and throw in 1/2 oz of sweet orange peel.

Anyway, here's the PDF from NB listing the ingredients: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-LaPetiteOrange.pdf

Would love it if someone could point out what I'm missing here.

I ended up with an abv of about 6% 1.054 OG 1.008 FG (after 2 weeks in primary) I sprinkled in an additional cup of Light DME and used the Trappist HG yeast. In addition to the orange peel and coriander, I also threw in 2oz of citra hops toward the end of the boil because they smell so damn good and thought they'd go well with the orange peel and lemony-ness of the coriander.

Latest posts

Back