Yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
Everything I've read says to boil your quart jars, lids, etc for 15 minutes. Why not just use sanitizer?

I think sanitizer would kill wild yeast (not sure about the "spores" part). I only know that I tried to "Acid wash" yeast one time and managed to kill them all very quickly with the usual mixture of star-san. This was a mistake but thankfully I had more yeast from that batch that I just washed the usual way.

Yeast can survive lower PH than bacteria, but even they have their limits.

From the description of star-san
Star San is a flavorless, odorless, no-rinse food grade sanitizer. When used according to directions, Star San will completely eliminate all microorganisms that it comes into contact with by lowering the pH to a level that will destroy them quickly (5 minutes), and foams to sanitize cracks, crevices and other 'impossible' places in your equipment. Once fresh wort/must is added to your fermenter the pH will quickly rise to a level that is not only safe for yeast, but sometimes beneficial, making Star-san a true no-rinse sanitizer.

When yeast washing you need to be as sanitary as possible, even more so than when doing regular brewing. Starsan is great stuff, and excellent for brewing, but boiling is still better.

When I'm readying my canning jars for washing, I boil them mainly because I know that it will kill all the nastys, and it's not that much more work. Plus, you know they'll be clean as a whistle that way.

Actually, boilling for 15 is great, but presure cooking for 15 at 15 PSI is better. The reason for either is not only to kill wild yeast, but other more hardy bacteria that will screw with your cultures. The more sterile you can get the better off you are. Sanitizer is good, and bleach is better at killing nasties but they still do not leave a sterile enviroment for your yeast. End of story.

homebrewer_99 said:
I've only ever used Starsan on my washed yeast containers...;)

ditto. star-san the jars/lids. but I do use boiled/cooled water to pour into primary/wash the yeast.

but I'm not bothering with pressure cooking the jars.

zero problems thus far with 4 of the 5 Kolsch jars I washed the first time.

Back