Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, and what the hey is Pleeezzze? Clearly, I need hal-lup. Now back on topic.. if anyone can hellup me with this recipe conversion.

Maybe once I learn my BeerSmith and get equipment plugged in.. I might be able to do it on my own.. but...... :confused:

I guess here is some "hal-lup"... just scaled from iBrewmaster... give it a shot..

OktoberFast Ale

Style: Octoberfest/Marzen OG: 1.046
Type: All Grain FG: 1.012
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.45 %
Calories: 150 IBU's: 25.74
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 3.28 Gal
Color: 11.1 SRM Batch Size: 2.50 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.048 Boil Time: 90 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 21 days @ 68.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
2.20 lbs 40.00 % Pilsner (2 Row) Ger 60 mins 1.037
1.10 lbs 20.00 % Vienna Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.44 lbs 8.00 % Aromatic Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.22 lbs 4.00 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 60 mins 1.034
0.44 lbs 8.00 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035
0.88 lbs 16.00 % Munich Malt - 10L 60 mins 1.035
0.22 lbs 4.00 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 60 mins 1.033

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.44 ozs 13.97 Tettnang 60 mins 4.50
0.22 ozs 6.41 Tettnang 45 mins 4.50
0.22 ozs 5.37 Tettnang 30 mins 4.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
0.2 pkg Safale S-04 Fermentis S-04

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile

Add 6.88 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 175.4°F

OK, JG or whomsoever.. When I look at the results of your calculations.. I see a preboil amount of 3.28 G.. or about 13 quarts. I want to end up with 2.5g in the bottle. Accounting for trub, I'd guess I should want at least 2.75 G in the fermenter??? Somehow, 3.28G doesn't seem like enough... IE seems like I'd be boiling off a bunch.. I don't know how much yet.. so, that is something I'll be closely documenting on this brewing exercise. I'd think I'd need closer to 3.75-4G preboil???

Again, learning.. Please don't get frustrated. Thanks,

Yah, and what the hey is Pleeezzze? Clearly, I need hal-lup. Now back on topic.. if anyone can hellup me with this recipe conversion.

Maybe once I learn my BeerSmith and get equipment plugged in.. I might be able to do it on my own.. but...... :confused:

I did a 3 gallon. If you have room to do 2.5, you have room to do 3. Here's my conversion.

Pre-boil 4.11gallons
90 min boil
efficiency is set at 63 (I crush the LHBS, and it isn't a good crush at all)
2.5 lb Pilsner
1.5 Vienna
1.25 munich
.5 crystal 20
.5 aromatic
.3 carapils
.3 crystal 40

.45 oz Tett 60min
.2 45min
.25 30min

Used Wyeast 2112.

It's good.

Thank you very much JG. That looks easy enough. If anyone has any further comments, please chime in.

Bill... No problem on rescaling. That is why we are here... to help out each other. I was there once... :)

I rescaled to 2.75 gallon batch size and here are the results. Also keep in mind that this is taking into consideration my boil-off volumes and equipment. Yours will differ but it will get you in the ballpark.

OktoberFast Ale
Style: Octoberfest/Marzen OG: 1.047
Type: All Grain FG: 1.012
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.59 %
Calories: 154 IBU's: 25.81
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 3.54 Gal
Color: 11.1 SRM Batch Size: 2.75 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.048 Boil Time: 90 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 21 days @ 68.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
2.50 lbs 40.00 % Pilsner (2 Row) Ger 60 mins 1.037
1.25 lbs 20.00 % Vienna Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 8.00 % Aromatic Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.25 lbs 4.00 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 60 mins 1.034
0.50 lbs 8.00 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035
1.00 lbs 16.00 % Munich Malt - 10L 60 mins 1.035
0.25 lbs 4.00 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 60 mins 1.033

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 14.00 Tettnang 60 mins 4.50
0.25 ozs 6.43 Tettnang 45 mins 4.50
0.25 ozs 5.38 Tettnang 30 mins 4.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1 pkg Safale S-04

Mash Profile

Kegged half, bottled half of this the other night. Should be nice and conditioned (keg) by mid-October, though I'll start drinking it as early as the 1st.

Thanks to both of you.. Wow, I really thought I'd need about 4G preboil and have 2.75-3G wort/beer and about 1/2G trub.

I'm going to give this a go.. and see where the numbers get me... and what numbers I get :D

Nothing like making beer and learning what your equipment will do. I need the eqpt part to have a starting point with BeerSmith too.

Again..... thanks.

Bottled this a week ago, drank my impatient brewer 1 week bottle. Carb already coming in nicely. Perfect amount of hops up front and a nice bready finish. After drinking half of it right from the fridge, I let it warm up for a while and it was even better! I can't wait to see how this ends up in a few weeks!

i just brewed a twisted version of this....

Finally brewing this recipe again. This time brewing it much closer to the original recipe. All the original recipe ingredients at least.

I had a hard time scaling this recipe down to 5.5G because my efficiency is 85% and the recipe is based on 67% efficiency. Rather than 50% of the 8.5lb of pilsner (4.25lb) I had to drop all the way down to 2.25lb. Also had to lower the vienna a bit to get down to 1.050. Anyway, I'm sure it will be great. Wish I had it on tap today.

BierMuncher, have you dialed in the temperature you ferment this at with S04?

So I made this last night as my second all grain. I had a myriad of problems including not having enough sparge water. I over shot the og and came in at 1.070 so I diluted to 1.060. I had a big yeast starter going (German ale/kolsch) and fermentation was going strong within a few hours. This was also my first time crushing my own grains using my ugly junk corona ad my crush may have been too fine, although I still had some grain hulls and I used 1/2 lb of rice hulls, my sparge still was very slow and I had t break up a thick layer of batter on top of my grain bed so the water could flow through.

I have my fingers crossed that it will still taste good, I wish I had added more hops to compensate for the higher gravity. Oh well, any thoughts?

Brewing up 5G's of this today because it is almost October, and I'm back in the NE after living in Hawaii for a long time. It's tough to appreciate an Octoberfest beer in Hawaii when it is 75* and sunny. ...But I try.

And this is the first batch that has ever blown off my airlock.

3 gal'ish stovetop, BIAB style is in the fermenter. I subbed both crystals with cara amber and cara hell - yeah color is darker, but whatta hell :). Home smells bready, toasty and it's already bubbling- 5 hrs in ferm. already. Damn, those crazy S-04 :)

So I made this last night as my second all grain. I had a myriad of problems including not having enough sparge water. I over shot the og and came in at 1.070 so I diluted to 1.060. I had a big yeast starter going (German ale/kolsch) and fermentation was going strong within a few hours. This was also my first time crushing my own grains using my ugly junk corona ad my crush may have been too fine, although I still had some grain hulls and I used 1/2 lb of rice hulls, my sparge still was very slow and I had t break up a thick layer of batter on top of my grain bed so the water could flow through.

I have my fingers crossed that it will still taste good, I wish I had added more hops to compensate for the higher gravity. Oh well, any thoughts?

Next time don't just break up the grain bed, shut off the flow and stir the whole grist, then vorlauf and repeat. Otherwise you're just letting water channel directly to the manifold/braid rather than rinse any sugar from the grain bed.

Sounds like your crush was great if you got that kind of efficiency.

Decided to brew this and Ed worts version for an Oktoberfest party I'm having 10/21. Only thing I did different was used some pacman yeast instead of s04. Mainly because I'd just gotten it out of a bomber of rouge beer and I wanted to use it real bad. So I mashed a little warmer with the hope of it not drying out too much. So it's probably different from the original quite a bit but still can't wait to try it. If it sucks, I'll use s04 next time, but I'm sure my friends will still drink it

Bought the ingredients today. The only thing different is the yeast as the shop owner suggested Nottingham. I was gonna primary 1 week, secondary 3 weeks then keg for 1 week and tap the keg on Halloween. The shop owner said he would primary 1 week, secondary 1 week and then keg and put it in fridge on gas for 3 weeks. What way do you suggest? Thanks!

Bought the ingredients today. The only thing different is the yeast as the shop owner suggested Nottingham. I was gonna primary 1 week, secondary 3 weeks then keg for 1 week and tap the keg on Halloween. The shop owner said he would primary 1 week, secondary 1 week and then keg and put it in fridge on gas for 3 weeks. What way do you suggest? Thanks!

First, I'd definitely mash around 156-158 with that yeast. Notty chews pretty far down. Second, Primary until it hits terminal gravity, then raise the temp a few 3-5 degrees for a few days. After this, there's nothing a secondary is really going to do for you other than clear the beer if you cold condition it.

I long primaried mine due to keg space limitations and now I've had it on gas in keg for a week. The longer it's in the cold the more conditioning and clearing you'll get.

So I brewed this beer last Friday and I'm a little scared that I mashed to high. I was trying to get to the mash temp of 157 and ended up right at 160 for a little while. Probably 5 minutes total. I was trying to stir as much as I could to bring down temp but it just wasn't dropping fast enough so I dropped in some cold water to get it to about where I need. By the end of my 60Min mash temps had dropped another 3 or 4 degrees ending at around 154. So I coutinued as usual and didnt think much of it. I finshed everything then pitched my yeast I used S-04. Three days later all fermentation has stoped and was at a gravity of 1.030. Thinking it was a stuck fermenation I tryed to rouse the yeast and raise temps to about 70 was at the low 60's. Three days later still no signs or fermentation and gravity is still at 1.030. Could this be a product of the high mash temps or should I go ahead and pitch some more yeast. I also heard that adding some suger could get my yeast going again.

So I brewed this beer last Friday and I'm a little scared that I mashed to high. I was trying to get to the mash temp of 157 and ended up right at 160 for a little while. Probably 5 minutes total. I was trying to stir as much as I could to bring down temp but it just wasn't dropping fast enough so I dropped in some cold water to get it to about where I need. By the end of my 60Min mash temps had dropped another 3 or 4 degrees ending at around 154. So I coutinued as usual and didnt think much of it. I finshed everything then pitched my yeast I used S-04. Three days later all fermentation has stoped and was at a gravity of 1.030. Thinking it was a stuck fermenation I tryed to rouse the yeast and raise temps to about 70 was at the low 60's. Three days later still no signs or fermentation and gravity is still at 1.030. Could this be a product of the high mash temps or should I go ahead and pitch some more yeast. I also heard that adding some suger could get my yeast going again.

IDK, 160 for 5 minutes shouldn't denature all of the beta amylase. Now, if it was 160+ for much more than that, say 10-15 minutes...you could have an issue. You're only what, 6 days in? If you've swirled the fermenter and raised temps, give it a week, then take gravity. If still the same, you might be at terminal gravity with a very dextrinous wort. What was your OG? Might still be a pretty good beer, will just have a big mouthfeel.

O.G. Was 1.056. The sample tastes great already just to much sweetness. If it dried out some it would be perfect. Anything that I can do to lower it. I've heard of something that you can put into it that cuts down on the unfermetable sugars and turns them into something the yeast can consume.

O.G. Was 1.056. The sample tastes great already just to much sweetness. If it dried out some it would be perfect. Anything that I can do to lower it. I've heard of something that you can put into it that cuts down on the unfermetable sugars and turns them into something the yeast can consume.

beta amylase enzyme might do some of that but I've no experience with it. Search around for this.

tre9er said:
beta amylase enzyme might do some of that but I've no experience with it. Search around for this.

I have used amylase enzyme before and I felt like it took too much body from the beer, granted it was a lighter beer but there was no body at all by the end.

How much did you use and how many points were taken at the end. I'm just use this if it doesn't move after a week or so. 1.030 is just way to high.

I have used amylase enzyme before and I felt like it took too much body from the beer, granted it was a lighter beer but there was no body at all by the end.

I would use the slightest dose, maybe less than recommended, then wait, check gravity a few times, and see what happens. This stuck gravity situation can take some time to rectify, but it's better than sweet beer.

deuce40 said:
How much did you use and how many points were taken at the end. I'm just use this if it doesn't move after a week or so. 1.030 is just way to high.

I used a tsp for a 5gal batch and it went from .012 all the way to .001. Another option while not normally recommended would be to use the amylase but keep a close eye on it and it the FG gets close to where u want it kill the yeast with something I know there are a lot of routes to go with that. Or just try very small amounts of amylase at a time

I used a tsp for a 5gal batch and it went from .012 all the way to .001. Another option while not normally recommended would be to use the amylase but keep a close eye on it and it the FG gets close to where u want it kill the yeast with something I know there are a lot of routes to go with that. Or just try very small amounts of amylase at a time

This, I would use a drop instead of a full tsp. See where that ends up. If still too high, try one more drop. I can't imagine it will take much.

What are my options for killing the yeast? And one last question will any of this affect the flavor of my beer. It would be great to get it down to where I want it but if I have to sacrifice flavor I'd rather let it be.

What are my options for killing the yeast? And one last question will any of this affect the flavor of my beer. It would be great to get it down to where I want it but if I have to sacrifice flavor I'd rather let it be.

Options for killing the yeast...IDK. Some people just cold crash it and they'll go to sleep but if you bottle, there's still sugars and viable yeast in there now=bottle bombs.

Personally I'd use a drop of beta amylase and see where that takes you. Guessing probably down to 20-25, then add another to get down under 20.

So I added a teaspoon today and I already see some airlock activity. I'm going to be checking gravity again as soon as I see activity slow down and hopefully it hasn't gotten to 1.002

deuce40 said:
So I added a teaspoon today and I already see some airlock activity. I'm going to be checking gravity again as soon as I see activity slow down and hopefully it hasn't gotten to 1.002

Good luck man

I took a gravity sample this morning after one week, og was 1.070. I diluted o 1.o60 and afte the most violent fermentation I have ever seen I am at 1.020. The sample tastes great, I will give it another week for the yeast to clean up after themselves then keg and carb. I did a side by side with my sample and with some oak pond brewery Octoberfest lager. Very similar, I thought mine had more flavor, maybe slightly fruity which is probably the kolsch yeast. I am fermenting at about 62 in my basement. I might bring it upstairs to warm up for a few days and finish it off.

my ingredients are on the way. I am hoping to have it kegged up just before my wedding at the end of october.

Brewing this right now half way though the 90 minute boil. Going to go with lager yeast though since I can ferment at lager temps why not. I must say that when I saw it was a biermuncher recipe I knew I had to try it, I have now brewed the Loon lake smoked porter, Centennial Blonde, Orange Kolsch, and the Munich Helles Belles. All came out very very good, lots of prasie from all who have tried them. Thanks for all the good recips Biermuncher good work.

I like mine a lot. It's still clearing but I'm drinking it anyway. I bottled half of it, too. Thanks for a great recipe.

Just threw in the first hop additions and my buildings pest control tech decided he wanted to make sure there are no bugs around my brew area. I think the name has now changed to Oktoberpest!

I just force carbed this. I took a sample and it was good. For an Oktoberfest there was a little too much bittering on the end, but I think that'll go away. It was very subtle. I was worried about it drying out too much as it went to 1.008 but it is definitely malty. This will be a good beer! I used WLP Cream Ale mix for yeast.

Back