New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm, so much grain....excuse the ****ty pic ;)
Brewday 11th August.
Brews: BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter, Stone Arrogant Bastard Clone and BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. Grains you see are for the Porter and Arrogant Bastard clone. Looks like we maybe hitting a fourth brew on the day. Got some guys at work that want a Tui Dark clone. Figured if they get the ingredients I'll brew it :p

grains.jpg

Nice one...I just brewed a 40l batch of the centennial blonde but used summit instead - been in the fermenter 24hrs and bubbling away nicely! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the heads up on the other two, definitely on the 'to do' list!

Hey

I'm german born, now living in chch.

Have been brewing beer for about a year now. Am getting some good results on kits.
Keen to get into AG at some point...

cheers

Hey

I'm german born, now living in chch.

Have been brewing beer for about a year now. Am getting some good results on kits.
Keen to get into AG at some point...

cheers

Nice to see someone still living in this fair city... from Chch Also.

Hey Lunchie, you doing all of that in one sitting? Would be interested to see the ingredients list for Mangatainoka Dark (Tui Dark) I do enjoy one of those from time to time :).

What do you use for Mash Tun?

Nice to see someone still living in this fair city... from Chch Also.

Hey Lunchie, you doing all of that in one sitting? Would be interested to see the ingredients list for Mangatainoka Dark (Tui Dark) I do enjoy one of those from time to time :).

What do you use for Mash Tun?

Yep, three of us getting together for a brew day. Should be a good one :) I'll hopefully get some pics up on the blog, so if you follow it, stay tuned.
Mash tun is a 30L pot - we're all BIAB brewers. I'm looking to upgrade to a cooler mash tun, much like the ones you see on here, and go for a gravity feed system.

As for the 'toki dark, I don't have a recipe per say I was just gonna wing it. I think maybe a Black Rock Miners Stout with a extra can of dark extract + a bag of dry stout enhancer should get something similar or better :p

Nice one, that BIAB Sounds easy...

Be sure to put up your recipe on here for the toki dark, give some of my slightly "cheaper" mates something to drink, lol. As a note, it seems more like a dark ale than anything else(Cascade?)?

Good luck with it, and keep us posted :)

Nice one, that BIAB Sounds easy...

Be sure to put up your recipe on here for the toki dark, give some of my slightly "cheaper" mates something to drink, lol. As a note, it seems more like a dark ale than anything else(Cascade?)?

Good luck with it, and keep us posted :)

Real easy, I think the move from extract to partial to BIAB was quite easy and pretty quick. I haven't thought of more hops, was just gonna use the recipe above and leave it there. Thinking maybe some NZ Cascade since I've got some spare might go well.

/cough

IMG_20120724_200046.jpg

I got mine from LiquorLand here in Palmy Nth. Missed it. Such a GOOD brew!!! $10.99 a bottle and I reckons its worth it :rockin:

I'll find it!! lol. Someone should do a clone!!
Gonna give my pale ale a try tonight, its only 10 days in the bottle, but it should be pretty carbed up slightly green, but my patience has got the better of me. I'll try post a pic up.

I tried that the other day they had them for sale for
$6 a bottle at New World.
I found it a little too fruity. Was very similar to the Macs Sassy Red. Nice but any more than 1 bottle would be sickly.

Fair Enough K-Trips its not for everybody :).
Tried my new brew last night.....It is AMAZING!!!, still a wee way togo on carbing up and but taste is well.. epic lol.
It still needs to clear up a bit, and its quite dark!, I'm assumethats from the LME and the fact is made it very much amber LME and Light DME instead of the other way round... I'm going to do it again, except using all DME and I'm thinking about my different Hops additions now, i used nugget and Cascade last time.

this time I'm thinking Nugget and Willamette?

hope fully the pics show up.

APA-10D.jpg

What brew is that you're drinking? She's pretty dark alright...

Supposedly its john palmers pale ale, from his book, the LHBS didnt have the right ingredients... so swapped basically the amber and Light over.
Should look better after another week or two of clearing up.
1 can Amber LME
1 kg Light DME
Nugget Hops and Cascde hops.
2 week ferm, and dryhopped too, tastes amazing, slightly sweet taste, with nice bitterness.
:mug:
its dark because of the amount of amber I put in, and its LME which darkens it up further. Gonna do a variation on this, make it either black, with Dark DME or Light with Late additions of Amber, and less of it.

Probably more of an American Amber Ale than an American Pale Ale.

Yep go the Chiefs. May as well wagon hop huh.
Getting prepped up for the big brew day on the 11th. Just hope this weather holds off.

Any of you guys in a homebrew club? I don't think there is anything local so thought about starting one...

NZLunchie said:
Getting prepped up for the big brew day on the 11th. Just hope this weather holds off.

Any of you guys in a homebrew club? I don't think there is anything local so thought about starting one...

Bro, you start one up, I there like a bear!

HA! Yeah, the Mrs. is from up that way, so I got to deal with her on Friday night after a few drinks, lol. So I'll jump on the wagon :)

No Clubs down here as far as I'm aware, would love to start one up, do some tastings brew nights etc. (Basically just a piss up, lol).

Its good, quite fruity columbus hops cascade and simcoe. and it was especially good cos it was free at pomeroy's :)
It's got Melanoidin in it too, makes it quite sweet.
I'm not sure whether this is a limited edition a promo or its a permanent addition?
Still to try First batch and Message in a bottle.

looks like a good brew day the other day for you.

Its good, quite fruity columbus hops cascade and simcoe. and it was especially good cos it was free at pomeroy's :)
It's got Melanoidin in it too, makes it quite sweet.
I'm not sure whether this is a limited edition a promo or its a permanent addition?
Still to try First batch and Message in a bottle.

looks like a good brew day the other day for you.

Nice, looks like I'll have to hunt out a bottle or two.

Yeah was a good day, pretty long to!! Next one is planned for 6 weeks. might redo the Pale Ale or maybe a Fat Yak clone with some new world NZ Saaz hops. Yet to make up my mind.

Tui dark will be left for another day. The guys who wanted to brew didn't show....their loss.

Yep brewshop is my local albeit in Hamilton...

Yeah I gotta say, reasonable prices etc. just oprder a heap of stuff, for my next one.
You don't have a local?

I might have to steal your thunder on the tui dark thing, lol. Nice easy recipe :)

Yeah I gotta say, reasonable prices etc. just oprder a heap of stuff, for my next one.
You don't have a local?

I might have to steal your thunder on the tui dark thing, lol. Nice easy recipe :)

Yeah, I've got a local here but its not as good as brewshop :)
Lol if you do, let me know how it turns out.

Off to Beervana tomorrow.....some classy beers in there!!

k-trips said:
Ah well. Any advice on what bottles are best to use and what not to use? Last thing I want is the groom clinking a bottle and it explodes in his hand and severs fingers before he consummates the marriage. Haha

I re-use Asahi or Monteiths bottles. Have also used Heineken too. Never lost one yet!

Hi
I'm brewing out in South Auckland. Been going for about two years of which one year has been AG BIAB. Absolutely love it. Still learning some techniques and me and my helpers are having fun working our way through the Clone Brews book. Pretty keen on getting into kegging in the future. At the moment I'm just using the $30 portable stove from Mitre 10 and this is doing the trick (I usually go through about one and a half canisters of gas).

image-3359840340.jpg

image-3817005829.jpg

Thanks, its getting there aye, just need some more exposure and a better cell for pics :p

its looking good. sounds like your getting serious.....
It'd be wicked to do it for a living, but I can handle doing it as a hobby etc.

Bottle my true blonde tonight, took awhile, but i passed the time with some epic :) tastes good so far, slight cascade finish so far, give it a couple of weeks.

next up on sat my pale ale again, with biscuit malt and a hop change around, nugget and cascade again, just different quantities.

Hey Brendos, nice dog bro.
whats in the clone brew book?? anything worth pinching??! lol:mug:

@Brendos - welcome along to the kiwi madness!! How long does it take for your portable stove to get a rolling boil? I looked at one for random brews at the beach etc but went with a proper gas ring burner from Bunnings.

@crusader1612 - I'd love to spend more time getting better gear, but alas, money doesn't grow on trees :p But yeah, I enjoy good beer, so brew I it. Next on the agenda is getting at least one tap and perhaps a stainless steel braid in the bottom of my smaller pot for a mash tun. Once I do that I'll drop the BIAB and become a fully fledged AG Brewer :mug:

I have a feeling my latest brew, which was supposed to be a porter will now become an American Mild Ale. I say American more so than English because it has a ****load more hops in it :ban:

Anyone else become a beer snob? I fond I don't really drink any of the big name brews anymore, they just have no flavour....

NZLunchie said:
@Brendos - welcome along to the kiwi madness!! How long does it take for your portable stove to get a rolling boil? I looked at one for random brews at the beach etc but went with a proper gas ring burner from Bunnings.

It only takes about ten or so minutes to get to boil, so gives me enough time to measure out the hops while I wait.

Latest posts

Back