Non-alcoholic to alcoholic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

123ferment

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I got a non-alcholoic beer and out of curiousty I dropped a capsule of a food supplment Iam taking called "brewer's yeast" and left it in the beer bottle for 24 hours. It is starting to smell like alcohol.
Is this safe to drink?

Please help out....

I was getting more of a troll vibe. Drink it is my response. It will be delicious.

brewers yeast is a food supplement??? lol, I smell a 14 year old here

NineMilBill said:
Tell me why this has underage written all over it...
Yes.
iceemone said:
I was getting more of a troll vibe. Drink it is my response. It will be delicious.
This.
wormraper said:
brewers yeast is a food supplement??? lol, I smell a 14 year old here
This has been covered?

Yes.

This.

This has been covered?

Gentlemen,
I appreciate you responses. I am an adult guy (35 years old) living in a place where alcohol is not available.
"bewer's yeast" is rich in vitamine B.
I will try the beer and let you know.
Thanks all

A place in Denver that alcohol is not available...

hmmmm...

are you in prison?

When I was going through puberty, my mother gave me bbrewers yeast to get rid of and prevent pimples. Dr Oz also suggests its use. Cant remember for what though.

Using it for turning o'douls into Chimay is probably not going to work, but i'm sure its safe to drink.

Dr. Oz’s second miracle Pill to get your energy back Brewers Yeast. Brewers Yeast is a vitamin powerhouse, has a ton B Vitamins, chromium, selenium & important antioxidants that helps break down carbs and fats. Take 4000 MG of brewers yeast divided throughout the day and you can Brewers Yeast online or health food stor

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...entId=715&activeIngredientName=BREWER'S YEAST

Gentlemen,
I appreciate you responses. I am an adult guy (35 years old) living in a place where alcohol is not available.
Thanks all

Beer is not available in Colorado? Denver of all places? :D

The supplement "brewer's yeast" sold in health food stores is DEAD yeast. It is incapable of fermenting anything. We call it "yeast hulls" when we're adding it to the boil or in the fermenter to fix a stuck fermentation, since the yeast are cannibals and like to munch of dead yeast.

The supplement "brewer's yeast" sold in health food stores is DEAD yeast. It is incapable of fermenting anything. We call it "yeast hulls" when we're adding it to the boil or in the fermenter to fix a stuck fermentation, since the yeast are cannibals and like to munch of dead yeast.

May as well through some of this in there
16192458.jpg

:off:I did see an article about some guy that made his own Marmite from his homebrew yeast cake!

Gentlemen,
Thanks all

If you're 35, why does your profile say you're 27?

May as well through some of this in there
16192458.jpg

:off:I did see an article about some guy that made his own Marmite from his homebrew yeast cake!

Didn't the factory shut down after the quake in CHCH? You'd better try Vegemite.

I don't mean to offend anyone by stereotyping or profiling, but it's possible he's Native American, a member of a religious sect, or some other organization that prohibits alcohol...that or he's 14.

Brewers yeast supplement won't fermint sugar. It's dead yeast..besides most na beers contain .01-.10% anyways

Leaving aside the questions about the OP's veracity, it seems to me that there's a more fundamental issue: what would the yeast (any yeast) ferment? I wouldn't expect there would be much fermentable sugar in a non-alcoholic beer. I guess he could try a malt soda, if he can find that...

Shouldn't be much to ferment there => no alcohol, but safe.
Same as taking the supplement and drinking the non-alcoholic beer separately.

Hasn't it been noted that you can use Malta Goya in a starter? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere on HBT.

Anyway, still would require active yeast. Of course, if you let the bottle sit open long enough, something is bound to show up!

123ferment said:
Gentlemen,
Thanks all

I am willing to bet it's his mom's basement not prison.

If it doesn't work you could always go into your mom's pantry and grab some bread yeast, put it in her prune juice and hide it in a dark corner of your dungeon...er, her basement. Thennnnn, you add that to your non alcoholic beer. Don't forget to secondary your prune wine.

How much is bread yeast? That's pretty cheap right?

Looking back, I wish someone would have told me about fermenting Koolaid. I could have had just as much fun in the dorms, but spent a lot less.

I would refrain from advising on "bread yeast and Koolaid" ideas - next post will be glue sniffing techniques, etc.
It's a beer, not "get high any way you can" forum

Dr. Oz’s second miracle Pill to get your energy back Brewers Yeast. Brewers Yeast is a vitamin powerhouse, has a ton B Vitamins, chromium, selenium & important antioxidants that helps break down carbs and fats. Take 4000 MG of brewers yeast divided throughout the day and you can Brewers Yeast online or health food stor

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...entId=715&activeIngredientName=BREWER'S YEAST

Couldn't you just drink a 12 pack of home brew a day, swirling in the bottle sediment, and get the same benefit?:cross:

brewit2it said:
Couldn't you just drink a 12 pack of home brew a day, swirling in the bottle sediment, and get the same benefit?:cross:

I'd say yeah, you could. I'm not an advocate of brewers yeast, just pointing out some research. 7 seconds worth of research.

I got a non-alcholoic beer and out of curiousty I dropped a capsule of a food supplment Iam taking called "brewer's yeast" and left it in the beer bottle for 24 hours

I heard that they recently added more hops...

McLovin id.jpg

Didn't the factory shut down after the quake in CHCH? You'd better try Vegemite.
Yeah, it's the great Marmite shortage down here! I don't eat the stuff and the wife only likes vegemite (still don't get those that only like one!) so it is not affecting me too bad ;)
Wait, what? As a lover of Marmite, I have to say, that sounds amazing. No, wait, disgusting. No, wait, amazing. Ugh, I'm torn.

Found the post on our brewing forum over here - http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/marmite

Hello guys
I appreciate that people are concerned about my age. For all of your folks wondering, Iam a 35 years guy living and working in a religious country where booze is illegal.
By the way, I did try that beer with brewer yeast supplement. Turned out my nose was wrong .. no alcohol showed up. Effectively, all I had was Vitamin B rich non-alcoholic beer…
Thought you might want to know…

Cheers everyone …..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back