Refrigerator thermostat controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grssmnperez

Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket thermostat controller that i can wire up to a prospective fermenting fridge that i got in a spare room?

There are a couple out there and they are not that expensive here is a link

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-equipment/fermentation-equipment/temperature-control.html

Hope this helps

-BBS

I have the analog thermostat control seen on that link, and it has worked out fine. The temperature shifts up and down about 3-4 degrees, according to the temperature strip. I duct tape the probe to the side of my bucket and set the thermostat dial about 4 degrees F lower than what I want. If I want to ferment at around 60-62F, I'll set the dial at 56. The temperature on the strip will then read 59-61. I have taken the temperature of the wort/beer, and it's about a degree or two higher.

My controller has has a copper probe and wire, not like the silver one shown in that link, but otherwise, it's the same controller. The entire wire is a hard copper wire that bends instead of flexing. With time, the wire has a lot of kinks and bends in it. It's not that big of an issue, but I use a compact fridge, so the wire is a little hard to work with when I'm pulling the bucket out to take hydrometer readings. If the digital probe has an insulated flexible wire, which it looks like it does, I would prefer that.

I recommend the Johnson Controls A419 digital thermostat. It allows you to set the differential as well as a time delay that prevents the compressor from constantly kicking on.

This is a full size fridge that i gutted out (shelves). Is there something that can be easily acquired like at home depot, lowes, etc.?

I use this controller. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057APR3I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Wired it to a duplex receptacle, mounted the entire mess on a piece of plywood with 2 hooks on the back and hangs from the rim of the freezer. If you're looking for a temp controller, I'd recommend dual stage. One heat, one cool. Even if you don't think you'll need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, i meant to override the stock thermostat if the fridge to bring it above refrigeration temps.

No, i meant to override the stock thermostat if the fridge to bring it above refrigeration temps.

I use a chest freezer that is designed to freeze. Basically turn the freezer all the way down to cold and plug it into the controller receptacle. The actual temp is maintianed by the new tstat, that cycles power on and off.

Back