A Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked_Magik

Reaction score
Did anyone catch the 15 min sneak peak on HBO last night? Have you read the books?

I'm about 3/4 through the first book and am absolutely loving it. The show was (I Thought) spot on to the story. (well it was for being only 1/4th of the first episode) I think its gonna be a pretty successful and LOOOONNNNNGGGGGG series for them.

I'm super stoked for it to start in 2 weeks.

Thoughts?

I read the books the first 3 something like 10 years so ago. I am pretty sure I read them again before I read A Feast for Crows when it came out because of the long lag between publication dates. So now it's been another 6-7 years and he may finally come out with #5 in a few months, but I'm not holding my breath at this point as he has, shall we say exaggerated publication dates so many times in the past it's lost all meaning.

I fully expect he will die before the series is finished.

I am re-reading the first one to get myself reacquainted with the story before the series begins. I'm about 50% through the re-read.

I have been looking forward to the series.

So now it's been another 6-7 years and he may finally come out with #5 in a few months, but I'm not holding my breath at this point as he has, shall we say exaggerated publication dates so many times in the past it's lost all meaning.

Official Pub date for A Dance With Dragons is July 12, 2011 according to GRRM's website.

I've read all the books and it is probably one of my favorite book series ever with The Dark Tower series being up there. I just hope they stick to the books fairly close because they are amazing.

Official Pub date for A Dance With Dragons is July 12, 2011 according to GRRM's website.

He has had several "official publication dates" on his website that came and went with no publication. I can recall when he said he was absolutely going to have it done by "no later than June" in 2005. The same book we are discussing now, by the way. I mean we are talking people buying preorders on Amazon, etc. Then he sheepishly changed the date, and the whole thing happened again. And again...

This is the same guy who said it was going to be a trilogy. Then the third book came out and he said, "whoops I meant four volumes". Then it was expanded to five. Now it is supposed to be seven.

I'm not saying this to badmouth him or anything. I am just saying you cannot trust any publications dates he gives you until you actually have it in your hands.

I haven't seen the show.

BUT I read and loved the first three books. Up to that point it was one of my more favorite series. Then I got to the fourth book. That is one of maybe 5 books in my life I have not finished after starting it. There are just already so many story lines and characters in the first three books alone, then the fourth introduces a seemingly completely new group of eleventy billion characters and another plot. I made it about 35% through (according to Kindle) and gave up.

I will watch the show as soon as it is out to rent though.

Good stuff. A Feast for Crows is much slower than the other books and really leaves you wanting something more. However, the story picks up well again with A Dance with Dragons.

I'm looking forward to season 2 and The Winds of Winter!

Just finished Disc 2 of the DVDs. Man I wish I didn't have to wait for Netflix to mail them to me! I want to read the books, but I'm currently on book 5 of the Wheel of Time series, plus, I think reading the books would maybe ruin the show.

As a guy who read all the books I have to say that the show has only been elevated bc of it. Btw, am I a major pervert or is the "ugliest woman in Westeros" Brienne hot as hell both in and out of character (they had to uggify her considerably for the role, and I still have to put my hand out for SWMBO to slap whenever a trailer comes on screen).

Only 5 days left till the season 2 premier of GOT.

The ritual continues yet again:

i) a specially designated High Malt/High Gravity/High IBU/Ice cold Session home brew in hand. (Black IPA?)
ii) a few good buddies to watch the show with, since my girl isn't into to. (Sacrilege...)
iii) a fridge full of home brews and the set is complete. (More IPAs)

As the lights go off, the candle burns steadily in the background and all are with home brew in hand, the Season 2 premier of Game of Thrones begins...

Happy brewing to you all and may you enjoy this season as much as we did the first one, form what I hear, its gonna be quite the show.

Can't wait to find out who this new Alton Lannister is that they added to the show. I hope he doesn't show us how to make homebrew...

I don't read, so I didn't know this was a book series. I got into Season 1 after it was over, plowed through all 10 episodes, and am hooked. Very excited for Season 2.

I haven't been able to talk any of my big TV watching friends to get into this show. Will be trying to convert them, its too good.

I am in the middle of Book 3 right now, and I cant put the thing down. I am so pumped for the show to start up again.
I found the the first season was exactly like the book. They followed it very well. I do hope they do the same for the second series as well.

I am just about to bottle my very first brew so sadly it wont be ready for Season 2 Episode 1.. but mayhaps Episode 2!

-B

Never been happier to see a guy get a golden shower as I was in the last episode I watched. That portion of the storyline is starting to get epic, from the little spoiler I caught the other day.

Never been happier to see a guy get a golden shower as I was in the last episode I watched. That portion of the storyline is starting to get epic, from the little spoiler I caught the other day.

My girl read your comment and asked me what kind of show it was I liked so much that had guys getting golden showers!

GOT:

The ritual begins.-

Cant wait, 4 days left, the home brews are ready to be had, the company is as ready as ever. All we gotta do now it patience... or have a few brews while we are at it!

Happy brewing to ya all.

My girl read your comment and asked me what kind of show it was I liked so much that had guys getting golden showers!

GOT:

The ritual begins.-

Cant wait, 4 days left, the home brews are ready to be had, the company is as ready as ever. All we gotta do now it patience... or have a few brews while we are at it!

Happy brewing to ya all.

LOL! I thought that might be read funny, but also in all honesty, I wouldn't put it past them to show what she thought! It can get pretty nasty sometimes.

The end is near for one of my favorite characters. I can feel it. And I hate the little bastard who does it. I hope he gets his throat slit in his sleep.

Homercidal said:
LOL! I thought that might be read funny, but also in all honesty, I wouldn't put it past them to show what she thought! It can get pretty nasty sometimes.

The end is near for one of my favorite characters. I can feel it. And I hate the little bastard who does it. I hope he gets his throat slit in his sleep.

Well without any giving spoilers, I think it gets close in book 5 in a certain Cersei scene.

If only Dany would get killed off, but she's probably the one character GRRM is attached to. She just annoys the hell outta me.

Homer if you are thinking what I think you are thinking keep thinking because its not what you think.

Unfortunately I caught a spoiler by accident a while back... I'm pretty sure it's what I think.

Crap. I just remembered it's on HBO...

This is almost as addicting as BSG. I might have to pickup HBO for a few months now.

Unfortunately I caught a spoiler by accident a while back... I'm pretty sure it's what I think.

Crap. I just remembered it's on HBO...

This is almost as addicting as BSG. I might have to pickup HBO for a few months now.

That is one peculiar thing about GRRM: he kills off his lead characters soon and elevates others in his place. One may even say that "Levitation Ale" might be just the appropriate brew for this show, just sayin... ;)

3 DAYS LEFT!

Enjoy the show everybody and as always Happy Brewing!

You might find this sick and twisted, but I'm waiting with schoolgirl glee for the young lady to find a good use for "needle". I just know it's going to be good! She is going ot be a wicked little swords (woman? kid? girl?)

She's one of my favorite characters. Too much like her father.

You might find this sick and twisted, but I'm waiting with schoolgirl glee for the young lady to find a good use for "needle". I just know it's going to be good! She is going ot be a wicked little swords (woman? kid? girl?)

She's one of my favorite characters. Too much like her father.

I second that Homer!

Gosh Darn Right!

I ll have a brew in her name during the premier, I am sure she will not disappoint us!

3 Days Left Mate!

Uber excited for sunday. Can't wait to start piecing together some more of the story. I believe I will have to partake in a barleywine for this event.

That is one peculiar thing about GRRM: he kills off his lead characters soon and elevates others in his place.

I originally found this extremely aggravating; however, now appreciate the new storylines. Still, I can't help but to be a bit saddened when some of these great characters are killed off.

It will be a frustrating few years waiting for the next book to come out to see what has happened to one of my favorites and how the plots pan out.

Yup, its how he does things. A very different but yet more realistic style to epic writing.

About the books, at least we still have GRRM alive, J R R Tolkein is dead for example and his son didnt exactly do a good job continuing his fathers legacy. (I cant wait for the Hobbit to come out.)

Super anticipating Sunday, Premier of Season 2, the Ritual Continues yet again!

Brew in hand and Show on the Big Screen...

Happy brewing to ya all, enjoy the Show!

Didnt read the preceding pages so I have no idea if this was already said but I really hope GRRM is alive long enough to finish the series. The time between publication dates has been getting longer and longer so Im honestly not sure if he will finish it. It took him 5 between A storm of swords and a feast for crows and 6 between feast for crows and dances with dragons. So does that mean 7 until winds of winter and 8 until book 7? He will definitely be dead.

Oh well, at least we have season 2 premiere tonight.

Didnt read the preceding pages so I have no idea if this was already said but I really hope GRRM is alive long enough to finish the series. The time between publication dates has been getting longer and longer so Im honestly not sure if he will finish it. It took him 5 between A storm of swords and a feast for crows and 6 between feast for crows and dances with dragons. So does that mean 7 until winds of winter and 8 until book 7? He will definitely be dead.

Oh well, at least we have season 2 premiere tonight.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I am sure he has it well planned out unlike Tolkein for example.

I any case, Tonight is The Night: Game Of Thrones, the ritual is on!

Prepare yourselves, gather the desired companies, grab brews, dim the lights and enjoy to the maximum.

Happy brewing to ya all and I am sure this thread will be full of responses on how awesome this season 2 premier will be.

I don't have HBO and haven't yet seen any of the episodes of Game of Thrones, but it is one my favorite fantasy series. I've heard and read that HBO has done a great adaptation, but I would think Book 1 would be the easiest to go from book to screen. A clash of Kings will also translate well, but after that GRRM started pumping out side characters and plots that didn't really change the main plot (at least not that we have seen yet).

I'll be purchasing season 1 as soon as this semester ends. I don't know how well it will hold up to the story, but I'm going to give it a chance.

Also, HBO signing on to this project is IMO the best way to motivate GRRM to finish the series. He's been dragging his feet and this will actually give him a deadline. Frankly, he needs to get Dany out of Mereen and back to Westeros. I have high hopes for the final two novels in the series, but there is just so much plot to be wrapped up; I don't see how he does it in two books.

Darwin18 said:
I don't have HBO and haven't yet seen any of the episodes of Game of Thrones, but it is one my favorite fantasy series. I've heard and read that HBO has done a great adaptation, but I would think Book 1 would be the easiest to go from book to screen. A clash of Kings will also translate well, but after that GRRM started pumping out side characters and plots that didn't really change the main plot (at least not that we have seen yet).

I'll be purchasing season 1 as soon as this semester ends. I don't know how well it will hold up to the story, but I'm going to give it a chance.

Also, HBO signing on to this project is IMO the best way to motivate GRRM to finish the series. He's been dragging his feet and this will actually give him a deadline. Frankly, he needs to get Dany out of Mereen and back to Westeros. I have high hopes for the final two novels in the series, but there is just so much plot to be wrapped up; I don't see how he does it in two books.

It's a very good adaptation. I have been very pleased. You could always download it...might be breaking a law...

I also don't know how he is going to wrap it up. A lot of unfinished plot lines but Dance of Dragons was definitely an improvement over book 4.

Back