Shelf life of yeast energizer, nutrient, etc..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-rad

Reaction score
I bought all the necessary items to try to make Skeeter Pee probably over a year ago, and want to make another batch now... just wondering if these items are still good to use (stored in container/bags they came in), or if I need to buy a new supply?

Yeast energizer
Yeast nutried
Wine tannin
K-meta
P. Sorbate
Sparkolloid

Most of it has hardened up slightly, but can be broken up (like sugar gets after sitting for a while).. any advice?

Except for the sparkolloide? I get the rest in bulk and haven't had any "noticeable" problems. Mine is at least a year old.

I bet mine is almost older from my lhbs i just got not too long ago, any body know if its ok to use the energizer like you would the nutrient? I used mine in a starter and forgot to put it in the boiling wort and so i just put some in to it cooled. I also have been adding it in the end of the full boil. I think its a good idea with using harvested washed yeast..

Yeast nutrient can get all clumped up and solid after a while - probably from excessive humidity in the summer. I had a bottle for a couple of years before I had to throw it away. Now I keep a bottle in the freezer along with my hops and it seems to be keeping just fine.

Back