yeast starter and stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
OK, I think I want to use my new stir plate for the first time. I've always only used dry yeast in the past with my all grain. So many different things I have heard-- so here are some questions, but here are the numbers.
1. OG 1.070-1.075
2. IPA
3. California Ale liquid yeast

When should I begin the starter? How long do i leave it on the stir plate? and how much DME and water should I use? If there is anything else i should know please inform me. Thanks so much. I use Mr. Malty for my calculations, but just wanna make sure.

I'm no expert but what I do is mix pale dme into boiling water (ratios to equal a 1.040 wort), cool in a ice bath, pitch liquid yeast at 70f and leave it on the stir plate for at least 24 hours. I sometimes pitch the whole thing into the wort and sometimes cool and decant the liquid before pitching.

80 grams per quart works well. Usually a day before I'll boil a qt of water and 80g of dme in a pot. Then I get a qt mason jar, put water in it and heat it in the microwave for a minute to heat the glass. Then pour out the water, dump the starter wort in the jar, screw on the top and throw it in the fridge.

It takes a couple hours to cool but now its vacuum sealed. Then I put it on the counter and pop it open when I'm ready to add the yeast later that evening.

So if I'm making a 1.050ish beer Saturday, I'll make the starter early evening Friday, pull it from the fridge around 10-11pm, and put it in my jug/flask along with the yeast. By the time I'm done brewing Saturday it's rocking and ready to go.

Everybody has their process. I am no exception. I brewed this past Sunday. I pitched my starter Wednesday evening, and left it on the stir plate until the Krausen fell back into the wort, 2 days. Put the flask into the frige Friday evening, then took out Sunday Am and left on the counter to warm to room temp. Poured out 2/3 of the starter beer, shook violently to geet the yeast back into suspension, then pitched once the wort was cooled.

Everybody has their process. I am no exception. I brewed this past Sunday. I pitched my starter Wednesday evening, and left it on the stir plate until the Krausen fell back into the wort, 2 days. Put the flask into the frige Friday evening, then took out Sunday Am and left on the counter to warm to room temp. Poured out 2/3 of the starter beer, shook violently to geet the yeast back into suspension, then pitched once the wort was cooled.

Good point! I should have mentioned that sometimes life gets in the way and I can't brew when I plan on it. In that case I do exactly what william_shakes_beer said.

I use 10mg of DME for every 100ml of liquid = 150mg of light Dry Malt Extract for a 1500ml starter. After bringing the water to a boil I remove from heat (prevents seriou boilovers) and stir to dissolve. Boil the wort for about 8-10 minutes.

I put the pot in cold water to chill it to room temp or about 72° then pour into my flask, add yeast and put on stir plate for ~18 hours and pitch at high krausen.

I do not decant normally but another option is to let the starter finish (about 2-3 days) then put in fridge overnight and decant the liquid leaving the yeast to pitch!

Back