Going All-Grain and Need Equipment Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPicardo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I'm going all grain and I've started to collect equipment. I purchased a large turkey fryer (36 quarts) to handle the boil. I also purchased a 5 gallon and 10 gallon rubber maid cooler to convert into a HLT/MLT.

I'm looking at making the MLT using the DIY thread provided here on the boards. Only issue is that I would want to build a manifold instead of using the stainless steel braid. It seems to me that this is just going to be a major pain the --- to build this. Should I bypass all of this shenanigans and buy high quality equipment, or should I persevere and build the DIY equipment myself?

Am I being penny wise and pound foolish? Should I consider this?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_82_449&products_id=13048

I vote for DIY. Its fun to build stuff youself. Plus that kit is EXPENSIVE, way to rich for my blood. shouldn't be too hard to convert these and you could probably do it for half the price of that kit.

JJPicardo said:
Hi Everyone. I'm going all grain and I've started to collect equipment. I purchased a large turkey fryer (36 quarts) to handle the boil. I also purchased a 5 gallon and 10 gallon rubber maid cooler to convert into a HLT/MLT.

I'm looking at making the MLT using the DIY thread provided here on the boards. Only issue is that I would want to build a manifold instead of using the stainless steel braid. It seems to me that this is just going to be a major pain the --- to build this. Should I bypass all of this shenanigans and buy high quality equipment, or should I persevere and build the DIY equipment myself?

Am I being penny wise and pound foolish? Should I consider this?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_82_449&products_id=13048

Go batch sparge. Easier and you only need 1 coller conversion kit instead of 2. Plus batch sparge is much easier transition. Save fly sparge for later upgrade if you need it.

I like to Do It Myself way ;), its cheaper and more satisfying (i know this statement sounds wrong but im talking about equipment)

The hardest part about making the manifold is making the slits in the copper pipe but even that isn't too hard. Even easier if your using PVC

Build the DIY and use it until you save enough money to buy real equipment. As with any homemade piece of equipment there are difficulties, professional equipment is more reliable and sturdy, but it's way over priced. Have fun.

If you have the Shekels. Buy a Blichman mash/lautertun, a pump and plate chiller.

Back