Adding belgian sugar after fermentation has started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HootHootHoot

Reaction score
Tried my first partial mash and ended up not getting much sugars from it, so I am much lower for my OG than I expected. I have some Belgian sugar that I could boil cool and add to the carboy,but would this alter the flavor?

Thanks

If you just want to increase the alcohol, you can add plain table sugar. That will make a drier beer with higher ABV. Belgian sugar will change the flavor, a lot or a little, depending on what kind you have.

What is the beer style? Can you post your recipe? Some style have certain fermentables that would suit them better than others so with more info we can recommend the proper type for you to add.

If you add sugar use table sugar, don't waste the Belgian candi sugar. Ideally you'd want to keep some dme or maybe one of Austin home-brews alcohol boost on hand when you miss your target og, since table sugar will make the beer a bit thinner.

I use table sugar as my sugar addition for my Belgian tripel. Works great as long as you wait until the fermentation has mostly died down before adding

Use table sugar (and/or candi-sugar) when it is part of the structured recipe. If you want to correct a mash shortfall, you need to add extract.

If you do add table sugar, invert it first to make it more easily fermented.

Tried my first partial mash and ended up not getting much sugars from it, so I am much lower for my OG than I expected. I have some Belgian sugar that I could boil cool and add to the carboy,but would this alter the flavor?

Thanks

Depending on your OG I would add some Extra Light DME to hit your gravity. Any kind of simple sugars will dry out your beer and alter the flavor profile noticeably. Belgian Candi Sugar will certainly alter your flavor profile, but how will depend on the type you have. If you post your OG, Target OG and the type of DME/LME you want to add I can tell you how much to add to hit your target.

Back