Fermenter build question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

originalben

Reaction score
I have a full size fridge with freezer on top that I am using now with an eBay aquarium controller and that works great but only accomodates 2 buckets or carboys at a time, which I really need to increase:mug:

So, my thought is that I would remove both top and bottom doors and simply extend the fridge forward 18" with a new access door to this side and add a shellf to increase the capacity to 6.
The question is this- can I just leave the freezer compartment open?
As long as the temp controller cuts the fridge off at the appropriate time to maintain set temperature, does it matter that the freezer is open to the whole area and it's colder air is kinda rolling down from the top?

What thinketh the pros?

Grazie!

It shouldn't matter that both "doors" are open, it will still cool the entire area and once it reaches your set temp it will kill power to both freezer and frig.

The only thing I would recommend is adding some sort of a fan that has constant power to circulate the air inside your fermentation chamber. That way you have contineous moving cold air around even though your fridge doesn't have power once shut off. It should help not kicking the fridge and freezer on and off so much.

Thanks, JWS. That's what I was thinking, but I was worried I was overlooking something obvious. I agree about the fan andalready have one set aside for just that purpose.

Prost!

Back